S i x t e e n (edited)

~ ily ya'll, thank u for the reads <3 ur comments + votes are honestly so motivating and appreciated ~

I watched the yellow pencil roll out of sight as the person at the desk before me frantically searched for the damned thing. He had messy dark blond hair, and skin almost as pale as mine, I wondered if he would also get as burnt as me. He sighed deeply, hanging his head in defeat as our homeroom teacher droned on about upcoming events. I felt bad for the kid, so I tapped his shoulder, holding out one of my own pencils.

As my eyes ran over him, I was confused as to why I'd never seen him around before, he kind of looked like a golden retriever with his sandy hair and deep brown eyes. He looked sweet when he gave me a small smile in thanks, I decided that I liked him already.

"Bad day already huh?", I asked noticing his creased eyebrows, and the way his mop of hair looked as if it had been thoroughly pushed back multiple times.

His lips upturned a little at my conversational tone, "like you wouldn't believe". To that, I frowned. As I went to respond, I was interrupted by somebody's obnoxiously loud- and late, entrance. The door to the classroom slammed into the wall aggressively, almost leaving an indent from the handle.

Blondie looked as surprised as me, as a boy of 6'2ft marched in, wearing a huge black hoodie; while most of his face was covered by the material, I'd seen those lips enough times to know exactly who was under the clothing, and exactly why he was so goddamn angry.

As if on cue, the boy ripped off his hood, as gasps filled our homeroom,

Hell-o strawberry

I could've stared at this sweet sight of victory all day, and personally, after the night I had endured- I felt as though I had a right to. However, when those blue eyes found me, they flashed with such coldness that I could feel goosebumps erupt on my arms.

I turn to my new friend, "catch ya round blondie, I really hope your day improves, god knows mine isn't about to!", he looks confused, and a little scared for me as Wolf begins to make his way over only to get stuck- like the giant he is, between two desks.

I take that as my sole lucky break, and pace as quickly as I can out of the room with our homeroom teacher, Mrs Barker, staring at both Wolf and I in bewilderment. Once the giant, pink-eyebrowed boy is free, he wastes no time sprinting off after me.

Might I say, that boy can move! no doubt, this is attributed to his long-ass legs. As for me, well, all those times admiring the football team's stamina surely did nothing for my own, because I was feeling like I was on the brink of death. I couldn't work out if that were a good thing or not, considering that if Wolf caught me, I'd be on the brink of insanity instead, death was honestly sounding like a sweet escape right now.

Stupidly, I glanced over my shoulder to see that the giant strawberry was gaining on me, and looked as mad as the hatter. My heart beat profusely as I kept willing for my little legs to carry my weight. For a few seconds, I thought I had lost him, because I couldn't hear any footsteps behind me. Confused, I stopped running, all I could hear were my own bated breaths as I turned around to face nothing. No strawberry. Nothing.

This was my first mistake, unbeknownst to little ol' me, Wolf had taken a different route, and was now quietly sneaking up behind my turned back. My second mistake was not investigating as to where strawberry boy had disappeared too, because maybe if I had kept walking in the opposite direction, maybe I wouldn't have instead, turned back around and crashed into the arms of the devil himself.

Screaming, I thrashed against his iron-grip, those tattooed arms circled around me as his fingers found my stomach, he did the single worst thing he could have ever done. He started tickling me, and within 10 seconds, I was begging for mercy- literally, on my knees. He was grinning maliciously, as I had sunk slowly but surely, to my knees on the hot concrete.

He chuckled above me as I gripped onto his forearms shakily, I hated tickling, I never could deal with it. Looking up, I felt time freeze for a little as Wolf grinned down at me. His eyes looked so clear in the sunlight, almost translucent, and he looked genuine, which was the oddest thing. His new hair gleamed in the light as well as his tattoos, the intrinsic art seemed even more vibrant than ever. He couldn't seem to snap out of our staring contest either.

"HEY! what do you kids think you're doing?!", a loud gruff voice had reality crashing back around us, as Wolf pulled me up with one hand smoothly. Wolf chucked me a quick smirk as he flipped off the poor caretaker, Ben. The older man shook his head defeatedly, probably muttering about us 'youths' and our attitudes, whenever I was stuck being around Wolf, that's all adults seemed to think about he and I.

"Come on princess", before I could even begin to tell him how bad of an idea it would be to ditch the school day, he had grabbed onto my hand, which had effectively shut me up. With my tongue tied, I stupidly follow after the boy with the weird pink eyebrows, letting myself bask in the warmth of the mid-morning sun and the rush of adrenaline that had overtaken me.

If adrenaline and Wolf Carter come hand-in-hand, there was no doubt that he could so easily become an addiction of mine; and that, well, that was terrifying.

Wolf walked lazily on the edge of the school building, it was crazy how only a week and a bit ago, I'd never once spoken to him in my life. How I'd seen Wolf doing the very thing he was doing now- but from below, as a curious bystander.

He looked so calm, despite the reality that one wrong move could leave him falling to an early death. His eyes were no longer light, but rather a swirling ocean blue that were as hypnotizing as they were sad.

I knew Wolf Carter was fighting something inside. I didn't want to ask, I knew he had an issue with letting people in, that so much was obvious by his moods whenever things got too serious between us. This was simply my rationale trying to smooth the continuous conflict between my head and my heart once again. In other words, this wasn't a valid excuse. Perhaps the real reason I didn't want to ask was because I was scared that he would leave. I didn't want to lose Wolf's company, and so for my own selfish desires, for my own twisted needs, I kept my mouth shut.

I was silent even as he stalked past me, something dark clearly painted on his face. I was silent as he slammed the door of the roof, as he walked away, leaving me behind wondering why. My intuition screamed to chase after him. My mind reasoned that Wolf was just being Wolf. My heart didn't say anything, but it hurt. It hurt so much. It hurt because I never used to be so insensitive to people, Valentina Rivers wouldn't let her friend walk away if he were visibly upset. That was then before I knew how fragile relationships made you.

Besides, this was barely a friendship. I needed to remember that. It didn't stop me from caring, from worrying. I didn't see Wolf Carter for the rest of the day, but he didn't leave my head. I'd spent the majority of the day itself, overthinking about whether I should text him to see if he was okay or not.

Val: r u ok strawberry?

I fell asleep that night with my phone in my hand, my message unanswered and my intuition telling me that something felt off.