F o u r t e e n (edited)

Shift 7 / 30 

[ Sunday ]

"I can't believe we're stuck up here", I groan, tapping my fingers on my currently dead phone in anxiety. "This is your fault Wolf, this was your stupid idea, as per usual!" 

Wolf stretches, running a tattooed hand through his dark hair, he flings his arm around my shoulders and pulling me in, "It's not all bad, it's pretty cozy princess", his bubblegum breath hits my lips and the urge to strangle him grows. I push at his chest in defiance as his laughter mocks me.

Neither of us laugh when the flimsy little pod that we were currently stuck in, rocks unsteadily at my rash action. I gulp just as Wolf takes in a sharp breath himself. We turn to one another with wide-eyes, and I wonder if I'm going to leave the Earth while looking into those eyes of his.

The little component ceased the awful movement, as we steady our erratically beating hearts. I can feel Wolf's anxiety radiating off him, and it almost shocks me because his generally so in control of his emotion. But, then again, we were literally stuck at the very top of a ferris wheel, the power had short-circuited with a juddering halt, leaving us stranded in mid-air.

It was around 5:00 pm, the sun hadn't set yet and the sky was a brilliant array of colour. Naturally, though, I was too terrified that at any second Wolf and I would plummet to our young deaths, to fully soak in the artwork of Mother Nature right now.

The spring fair had been closed for a while now, it was mostly for young children and families, so the times accommodated for them. Wolf and I were absolutely alone in this ordeal.

"Why is it that every single time I am with you, I get in trouble?!"

It was safe to say that I was losing it. It had only been 20 minutes, and yet, with one dead phone, no service, no way to get down or to even call for attention- it was likely we'd be spending the night up here.

The irrational side of me was thinking about how amazing the stars would look. The rational side of me was about to cry because I couldn't stop thinking of every single way that this could go wrong. The worst part was that the hormonal side of me was so aware of how squished together Wolf and I's bodies were. The most awful, unforgiving part was that the hormonal side of me was enjoying this predicament a little too much.

And all of Wolf's typical flirty remarks were just fuel to this fire. The adrenaline of having such a near death experience was wrecking havoc on my mind. I couldn't work out if I wanted to make out with Wolf just to get my mind off the height we were currently suspended at- and in turn, satisfy these ridiculous hormones. Or if I wanted to push him out of his seat right now, for even suggesting we go on this stupid ride.

Wolf and I being squished together is sensible because body heat will be necessary to get through the night, considering that we're up pretty high. The rationale behind it makes me feel a little better, while my hormones laugh in my face as if to say, 'we were going to enjoy this even if there weren't any reasoning behind it mwahahahahah'

You had to be a liar to say Wolf wasn't attractive. I wasn't a liar. I was, however, constantly involved in an inner conflict about every little thing to do with the boy. I must have been quiet for a while because I could see Wolf staring at me out of the corner of my eye.

We did not need to be any closer or awkwarder than we were so I avoided the intense eye contact and focused on the sunset before me. It truly was a sight, the hues of pink, orange, yellow and red blended so imperfectly that it became perfect. I remember always rushing out as a child, with my camera, to take hundreds of the same pictures whenever the sky would look like this. At daybreak or nightfall, I would be staring at the sky in wonder.