Chapter Twenty Five: The Test Results

"Tommy, do you want to go to the store with Cody and I?" I ask after breakfast is finished and everyone is outdoors. Before answering he checks with his sister and when she says yes we get ready to leave.

"Where are you going? Can I come?" Asks Bill out of nowhere, causing me to jump.

"No, we're going on a secret mission. Bye!" I squeal uncharacteristically and instantly know that he can tell something about me is off. But we're quickly out the door before he is able to say much of anything else. The drive only takes fifteen minutes which is kind of surprising because traffic is usually quite bad; Tommy keeps a close watch on Cody while I look for what I need and pay. And to reward the two of them for their good behaviour, I buy them each a McFlurry.

"Are you ok?" Wonders Tommy on the drive back home and with shaky hands I pass him the white paper bag containing various pregnancy tests. He only needs one look to know what they are. "Are you...?"

"I don't know. It's very possible, but I'm not sure." I slow down as I turn into our street. "Please don't mention it to anyone, especially Bill. Or Tom. You know they can't keep a secret from each other for more than a day."

"I won't say a thing." Tommy nodded and gave the bag back after I parked the car outside the garage. The kids make their way back indoors and I stuff the tests in the pocket of the pullover I'm wearing, checking to make sure it doesn't look too obvious or bulky, and dart upstairs to the safety of my bathroom where I hide the tests in a jumbo-sized box of tampons under the sink when I'm taken by surprise.

"Elena!" Julian knocked on the bathroom door, causing me to both gasp and jump. "Are you in there?!"

"Be out in a minute!" I call and run a brush through the rats nest currently sitting on my head, kind of grossed out that I'd actually left the house looking like some homeless person. Tossing the pullover on the floor I open the door and walk out, where Julian is waiting for me. "What did you need?"

"I-I was wondering...if maybe, could you take me to see..." He stuttered, eyes trained on the floor.  Julian took a deep breath and look me dead in the eye. "If you could take me to my mom's grave. Please?"

There was no way in hell I could say no to that, especially since the one major thing we had in common was the fact that our moms were no longer here. "Of course. I'll find out where she's buried and I promise I'll take you the second I know."

Bill: hey 🙂

Me: yes queen 😒

Bill: the first tutor is here for an interview

Me: oh mother effer

Me: I forgot that was today omg

Me: I'll be down in 5

Me: gotta get dressed because I look like a hobo

"Hey, why don't you go see what kind of snack Annie's making for everyone." I say to Julian and head into the closet, quickly throwing on the first clean shirt I see (it's too big, so I know it's Bill's.) and my favourite pair of jeans. I don't even bother with socks and run down the staircase, straight to Bill and Tom's office where the interviews were to be held. Opening the door, I find Bill making polite small talk with a middle aged man in a dark suit, and introduce myself.

"Such a pleasure to meet you. My name is George Watson." He smiles genuinely as we shake hands and I sit next to Bill in one of those office chairs with wheels.

I love those things.

George Watson answers every question we ask to the best of his ability and let's us know he can start as soon as we need him to.