Chapter 18

Later, when my mum called for dinner, my prediction that the night could only get progressively worse became true. No one really spoke. The night was just filled with awkward glances and harsh glares. Fifteen minutes in my dad had already made a scene about how I was choosing Harry over my own family now. Truth be told this was the first Christmas I was spending here since graduating from high school, and it was all because of Harry we were here. My mother and father were just as hot tempered as Harry and I only this time instead of them fighting it was me and my dad. I was never one to really fight with them but apparently boundaries in this house didn't exist anymore. 

After my father's comment on my irresponsibility, again, I threw down my napkin over my food and b-lined for my bedroom. All of this was really tempting me to just go back home. And by home I mean with Harry back in London. 

"No, screw his nasty comments and ignorance and unwillingness to even consider the fact that it fucking hurts like hell to hear him say that crap" I snapped at Harry. He was layed out on my bed, arms behind his head as he stared at me. I was out on the balcony, my elbows set on the concrete railing with my head propped up in my hands.

"Babe he hasn't seen you in years and when he finally does you tell him you've had a miscarriage with this boyfriend he's never even met" Harry reasoned, I rolled my eyes, ignoring his input even though he was probably right. I was stubborn and he knew it. "Well, I'm going to go shower" Harry sighed after a few moments of silence.

He didn't wait for an answer before sifting through his bag, grabbing clothes and heading off into my bathroom. I sighed heavily and continued to stare out into the night. I can never win can I?

I was about to head inside after a couple minutes of clearing my head before the sound of bickering caught my attention. I looked up, towards my parents balcony on the next floor, the doors were wide open and it was clear they were having a fight of their own, much like when I was a kid. The arguing grew louder and I frowned, heaving another sigh before making my way into my bedroom. I had a feeling it was my fault, it always was. When I was a kid they would argue over the smallest thing but I just presumed it was normal. I guess for them, it is. 

~

Harry slept soundly, his chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm while I watched, unable to will myself to sleep. It was nearly 2am and I hadn't gotten a lick of sleep. I was too busy being angry at my father but also guilty for whatever my mum and dad had fought about. It always felt like it was my fault and I was sure it was this time. My mother typically took my side on things and the look of horror on her face tonight at dinner after my dad snapped at me only proved that. 

Since sleep obviously was't happening for me, I pulled off my blanket and sat up on the bed. I huffed out a yawn and stretched a bit before getting up and walking towards my bedroom door. My feet slowly moved against the hardwood, creeping down the hall and down the stairs until I hit the ground floor. My brows furrowed together when the sight of the kitchen light caught my attention. I walked trough the dining room quietly, stopping at the kitchen doorway to take in the sight of my father leaning against the kitchen counter with his head in his hands. My stare automatically formed into a glare as I debated carrying on my journey or just walking away. 

The small but subtle, growl of my stomach was enough to will me into the kitchen. The moment my feet began to pad against the tile floor my dad's head snapped up to stare at me. I kept my head held high as I passed him, keeping my nose in the air in a snooty way until I made it to the fridge.