Chapter 37

Sweet Dreams

Sophie stared silently out the window. The seat next to her was empty. She had this time to think to herself.

This was finally going to happen. After 5 long years she was finally going to see her mom, hug her and tell her how much she missed her.

But Sophie was afraid. She was terrified that her mom still held on to the memory of her lost son. Sophie was afraid that her mom was unable to forget Daniel, and this led Sophie to blame herself.

Sophie couldn't let go of what had happened 5 years ago. The phone call, the stress and anger and frustration, the truck, the accident, and the fall. Sophie couldn't make herself forget the incident, and she couldn't forgive herself for it.

A flight attendant came by with a tray of drinks. "Can I get you anything to drink ma'am?"

Sophie blinked and looked up from her seat. "Uhm, coffee please." She nodded then went back to the window.

"Here you go." The lady reached over and handed the coffee to Sophie. Looking down at Sophie's hand the attendant smiled. "You have a beautiful ring. Must've cost a fortune."

Sophie took the coffee and placed it on the tray and hid her hand. "I guess..."

"Lucky duck." She laughed. "Alright have a good one." Then the attendant scrolled away with her trolly.

Sophie felt like a dumbass. How could she forget to take off the ring? It really was meaningless at this point. He probably would have handed the papers into the attorney by now. Sophie turned her hand from side to side admiring the beautiful diamond that was placed on the white gold ring. So much precision and so delicate. Someone must have custom made this. If Nathan did, then this was one heck of a ring and he had amazing taste.

Then Sophie shook her head. He wouldn't have given two shits about this ring. A ring that really was worthless to him. It was probably of Mary's choosing. So really, Mary had amazing taste.

Sophie slid the ring off her finger. So many emotions and feelings were kept buried in in this ring and taking it off made all the different feelings come crashing down on Sophie. She wanted to cry, but more than that she wanted to forget. To fly away from Nathan and all his memories. She wanted to throw the ring out the window, but instead she stuffed the symbol of unity in the bottom of her bag.

After the cup of coffee and a nap, Sophie awoke to find that the pain in her chest was gone. She no longer was upset and angry. The feeling was the aftermath of a storm; the calm breeze and relief.

Moments later, the captain spoke making those that were doozing off wake up. "This is your captain speaking. We will be landing shortly. Please put your seat belts on. Thank you."

Sophie breathed out. She was here. Finally here. At that moment she forgot completely about Nathan and the ring. She was anxious and nervous to see her mom. Sophie said her prayers as the plane descended.

When the plane finally landed, everyone hurried towards the exit. Sophie was almost trampled by the crowd, but she managed to grab her bag and squeeze through with everyone. She was independent and strong and each stride she took through the airport was inches from running. Her strength was the journey to this moment. The endless work at the restaurant, the night shifts, the washroom duties, 7 days a week, barely anytime for herself, and lastly the sacrifices she made for that jar of savings. But her biggest strength was her mom, and the gratitude she will feel after seeing her.