Chapter 18

Can You Really Love?

"are you sure you're going to be alright? I could stay with you a few extra days, until Monday."

"No Leighton, I'll be fine. It's not like he's going to murder me, is he? Is he Leighton?" Without thinking Sophie became extremely frightened at the thought of being left home alone with Nathan.

"No of course not!" Leighton shook her head having that much faith in her brother to not being a murderer. "Ok Sophie then I'll leave. Call me everyday or whenever you need anything. I'll try coming next week to help you out with the divorce papers."

"Alright bye." Sophie hugged Leighton. "And thank you."

Marie walked up to her new daughter in law. "Darling, you must be the prettiest bride on the planet. Reminding me a lot of myself when I was younger." She gave a quiet laugh. "Nonetheless, my prayers and good fortune are with you. And please dear, take good care of yourself and Nathan. I have my full trust on you, and I know you would never let me down." She took Sophie's hand and placed a little box in it. "Something for you. From your mom's behalf as I wasn't able to give you anything earlier."

Sophie's stomach turned and she could feel the tears coming. She closed her palm tight on the box and without thinking hugged Marie. "The biggest gift from you was your love, mom. Thank you." She was crying by now, and when Nathan came by her side and opened the car door she began to cry even harder. It hurt to know that she won't see these faces that had becomes so familiar to her ever again.

Sophie waved goodbye to everyone with one hand while wiping her tears with another. She felt like an emotional wreck, as she was never too good with handling her emotions. Sophie took her seat in the back of the limo, and continued waving until the door was closed and the tinted windows were rolled up. Then she sat there crying to herself while remember all the memories (the few memories) she had made with the family. By this point her handkerchief was wet and of no use.

"So are you crying?" Nathan asked from beside her. He had his head laid back in exhaustion. Who knew getting married was this tiring?

Sophie looked to her side in shock. Was he that heartless? "Why do people cry Nathan?"

"I know why people cry retard. I'm asking why you're crying. It's not like you have any reason to be sad." He loosened his tie around his neck, letting it just hang there.

"I do have a reason. And that reason is I'm going home with you!" She threw her hands in the air.

"Oh so tears of joy I see."

"No. Tears of I want to rip your head off right now." Sophie couldn't believe his lack of respect for when a girl cries.

"Do it." Nathan mocked Sophie with pleasure. "Here I'll help you..." He placed his head on Sophie's lap and closed his eyes. His feet were on top of the seat, and he lay there like a drunkard who came from his wedding.

"Get off. Get off Nathan!" Sophie shoved at him but he just wouldn't move. After a while she gave up and decided to just slouch on her one hand while leaning against the window. Every now and then she would mumble to herself of how irritating Nathan is.