40- Meet the Mother

Percy's POV

"Percy, it's gonna be fine," Annabeth reassured. While she was taking her time saying reassuring things, I tried my best to keep my glasses, hoodie, and scarf around my mouth in place. Annabeth only had on a scarf wrapped loosely around her mouth and neck. Because of the news going around, going out together seemed less possible because one person will recognize us and soon, a mob would be around us. We can't take that chance... even if we have to wear bulky scarfs in the middle of April.

"Yeah, definitely," I said sarcastically. "Your mom will be very nice to me."

She rolled her eyes. Yep, that's where we were headed: to Annabeth's penthouse. Her mom had told her to invite me for lunch. Annabeth had quoted her mom, "...to get to know me better."

"It's not like she'll chew you up," she said, but she sounded like she was reassuring herself instead. "She promised me that it'll be a civilized and peaceful lunch."

That didn't make me feel any less nervous. We entered the doors to the penthouse building. Annabeth took off her scarf and looked at one of the young bellmen, who rushed up towards us.

"Hey, John," Annabeth greeted. The bellman, John, led us to the elevator.

"Usual floor?" He asked. He looked a couple of years older than us with dark brown hair and brown eyes. Annabeth nodded. John pressed a button, and we felt the feeling of our stomach lurching as the elevator moved. "Aren't you hot?"

I glanced up and notice he was talking to me. He glanced at my scarf. "Uh... No," I lied. I was sweating buckets underneath this thing. Beside me, Annabeth chuckled.

He raised his brows, but shook it off. The elevator made its ding sound and the doors opened to Annabeth's floor.

"Thanks John," Annabeth said.

"No problem... And you might want to tell your friend that I can see his sweat pouring," he said, his grin wide. I awkwardly chuckled. When the elevator door closed, I touched my face. Sure enough, I felt the sweat. I took off the scarf, hoodie, and glasses. Annabeth guffawed.

"You made me look like a fool," I said accusingly. Annabeth held her stomach as she laughed. "I probably looked like I came from the shower." She laughed. I grabbed her from her waist and pulled her closer.

"Ew... Don't pull me closer! Your face is so sweaty," she said, trying to pull her face back.

"Ha. No. You don't get to laugh while I'm sweating so much," I said. I pulled in closer, trying to get my sweaty face close to hers as possible.

"Percy!" She laughed, trying to get away from my grip. After a couple of tries, I finally got my forehead to touch hers. I gave her a small kiss on the lips.

I heard a door swing open, and I jumped away from Annabeth. Athena stood there, watching us. Suddenly, I felt like I went for a swim instead of taking a shower. I wiped my face with the back of my hand.

"Hi, Ms. Chase," I said, rushing towards her to shake her hand.

Wow, great going. I just passed the sweat from my hand to hers, I cursed at myself.

She didn't seem to notice or mind because she gave me a small smile. "Athena is just fine."

Annabeth decided to cut in before things got awkward. "Let's eat?"