25- Break Through and Let Go

Percy's POV

My heart was racing too fast for me to catch up. My breath was running thin, and my hands were shaking at the touch of her waist.

We were still swaying to the music. But instead of the band playing, they switched it off to the radio that played slow music. Some couples left, but most still swayed side-to-side.

Annabeth took a shaky breath and lifted her head from my shoulder. I reluctantly drew my face away from hers. We were face-to-face. Our foreheads were basically touching.

Her expression had a small smile. She's in her thinking mode. I could tell her gears are turning in her head.

She bit her lip. "Walk with me?"

I nodded and shakily dropped my hands from her waist. She slowly dropped hers from my shoulders and took my hand. She led me through the swaying couples and to the empty beach. She took off her combat boots and socks, and I did too.

We walked in the sand, barefoot. It was silent. I was contemplating whether or not I should talk. But then again, what would I say? My mind was still in cloud-nine, and my mouth was still glued shut. I'm speechless.

"The band played really well," she said, giving me a smile. The way she said it sounded like she wanted to say something else and more.

My voice could only manage to croak out one word. "Good."

"Seaweed brain..." She started to say. "I..."

I stopped walking and faced her. "Say it. Let them flow out... Like Niagara Falls."

She smiled at the reference. She sat down on the sand, her knees close to her chest. I sat down next to her.

"Do you know how it feels like to be trapped within your own body?" She glanced at me.

"All the time," I said. "Hiding from public view, being careful of what I do because the media will turn it into a bad boy story... I know the feeling."

"Your's is because of the public. Mine is because of what I built," she slowly said. I knew she was referring to her "wall".

"If you feel trapped, break through it," I said.

"But what if half of me doesn't want to break through?" she asked.

"Then, you'll miss the adventures in life." She stayed silent, her feet sinking in the sand.

"I've been trying really fucking hard to let go, but part of me really, really wants stay..." she said. She ran her fingers through her hair.

"If you can't get out, I'm breaking you out," I said. "Just like the song. And I'm telling you. Just put your heart in my hands. I promise it won't get broken." I sang her part of the song, while she laid her head down on my shoulder.

I glanced down at her, and she wore a smile on her face. My heart was beating rapidly again.

"Your voice is really soothing," she said. I laughed. How could she be talking about my voice when we just talked about feeling trapped?

"Really? I've always thought my voice was anything but soothing. I thought my voice was very croaky? You know, like how Shakira seems to sound like a goat?" I said, trying to lighten up the mood. She shook with laughter. Her head was lightly moving up and down from my shoulder.

"I'd agree with the croaky part, but it sounds more subtle. Not like Shakira's," she said. "Definitely not."

"I should start singing for you then, if you found my voice soothing."

"Yeah... Make me an album," she joked.

"Maybe I will," I said. She gave me an are-you-kidding look, but drew a serious face, like she remembered that we had a serious conversation before this.

"I want to let go," she suddenly said, going back to the previous topic. Then let go, I wanted to tell her, but I let her finish.

"I want to put my heart on your hands. I want to feel what it's like to be loved again. I don't want to be scared. I don't want to live in fear. If I get hurt, then fuck it. Just like what you said. I'll miss the adventure, if I live the same way I've been living," she said. I felt a wet spot on my shoulder and glanced down to see Annabeth tearing up. "I really like you, Seaweed Brain. I really, really do. You're the only one who has broken a way through the wall and managed to pull me out."

My heart stopped then and there. I really like you, Seaweed Brain. Her words echoed in my head. My brain turned into mush. My breathing had stopped, and I had no idea what to say.

"Say something?" she worriedly said. She had lifted her head up from my shoulder and looked at me. Her expression had worried to sad in an instant.

I stood up and faced her. I started to grin really wide and tossed my hands up in the air. I was ready to explode at the moment. I turned towards the roaring ocean.

"Whooooooo!" I started to scream. I faced Annabeth again, and she looked at me weirdly.

"Seaweed Brain, someone might hear!" She laughed. I didn't care at that point. Besides, no one goes to the beach in a cold, November night.

I pulled her up from the sand and pulled her close. We wrapped our arms around each other, laughing. When we broke the hug, I still had my arms around her waist, and hers were at my shoulders.

"I like you too, Wise Girl. I really, really do. I promise your heart will never break," I softly said to her. Her eyes gleamed and were starting to fill up with tears.

The wind was blowing her hair around. I tucked a piece of her gray strand behind her ear.

I wanted to kiss her then and there. My mind flew back up to cloud-nine, and I can't seem to get down.

Before I knew it, Annabeth was already leaning in. I did the same. Our lips touched, and I'm pretty sure I was a goner.

--------------------------------------------
Eeeeee! Finally they kiss! No more interruptions, no more hesitations, none of that. I know you guys have been waiting for this moment.

Thank you for taking the time to read this chapter! I love the support and love you give for this book! I hope you still keep up with the future chapters.

I love reading your comments. I'm open to suggestions, feedbacks, etc.. So if you have anything to share, feel free to do so.

Please, vote and comment 💙

-Brainy_dolphin <3