CHAPTER 14

“The older you get, the more you understand how your conscience works. The biggest and only critic lives in your perception of people's perception of you rather than people's perception of you.”--Criss Jami.

~

As Zayn neared the door, Scarlett could see an approaching figure. She had been standing outside in the cold for over fifteen minutes waiting for him to arrive. She assumed that it was best to walk him in. She had to tell him a few thing, anyway.

She heard Zayn greet her. “Hello, Scarlett.” He said.

She glanced up quickly as he stood in front of her. She didn’t greet him. She began “I haven’t told her you’re coming. If I had, she would have killed me. I’m pretty sure she won’t want to speak to you and it’s your problem to figure out how to converse with her. If I see any yelling, fighting or crying, I’ll step in and I’m capable of punching you in the face. God knows, it’s long overdue anyway….”

Zayn didn’t reply. He looked at her, baffled. “Deal?” she asked.

He let out a small nervous chuckle and said “Deal.”

“Come on in then.” She said leading him inside.

He took in the surroundings, but didn’t comment upon it. Zayn wondered what the hell they were all doing at a skating rink this late at night, but he didn’t ask as he had more pressing matter at hand.

“Where is she?” he asked, as he stood and looked around.

“Inside the rink.” Scarlett said, pointing. “Skating.”

He followed the direction of Scarlett’s pointed finger while saying “But she can’t skate…”

Scarlett smiled as she saw Zayn’s eyes momentarily widen with surprise. His face became as it was within a fraction of a second. But, Scarlett knew that her plan was working-at least to a certain extent.

“Nathan’s trying to teach her.” She said, still smiling.

“Yes, I can see.”

Scarlett crossed her arms and looked at the sight in front of her. Autumn was concentrating really hard and trying to walk without any support. Nathan was moving forward with her while skating.

His hands seemed ready to steady her, in case she lost her balance. Leah and Haley were skating around and chatting away.

“I’m thinking….” Scarlett paused, turned her head towards Zayn and said, “You should wait. It seems like she’s really trying to learn something. Do you mind?”

He stared at her briefly, then stammered “N-no, of course not.”

Much to Scarlett’s pleasure, Autumn slipped, but Nathan quickly caught her by the waist before she could collide with the ground.  Autumn put her arms around Nathan’s shoulder to help stand up straight and when she had done that, pulled away.

Scarlett looked at Zayn again. She was absolutely sure that he was feeling something looking at his face. She only hoped that the something was a little jealousy.

She decided to move it along. “Let’s go.” She said.

Zayn cleared his throat regaining himself. “Where?” he asked.

Scarlett smiled some more at his uneasiness. “I think we should skate now.”

“Why?” he asked.