CHAPTER 12

“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.” --Fred Rogers

~

Scarlett opened the door to see her roommate looking at her. Autumn’s eyes were red and swollen. The make-up that Scarlett had previously applied to her eyes was running down her face. Her hair was a complete mess as well.

Scarlett moved aside and let Autumn walk in. “What the hell happened to you?” she questioned.

Autumn didn’t reply to her question. She threw her clutch on the sofa and her mobile on the table and walked to her room. Scarlett followed her friend but didn’t get much further since the door closed before she could enter Autumn’s room.

She leaned her back on the door and asked with concern seeping out of her voice “Tell me what happened.”

She didn’t receive a reply. She sighed and walked back to the hall and decided to wait for Autumn to step out.

No sooner had she made a move to sit down, there was a knock at the door. She quickly walked to the door and opened it.

“Nathan!” she exclaimed. “I’m so glad you’re here!”

“Glad to see that I have such an effect on you!” he replied, walking in.

She ignored his comment and asked “Why is she so upset?”

Nathan understood what Scarlett was talking about. But, he didn’t think that it was his place to say anything. He simply said “Trouble in paradise.”

Scarlett crossed her arms and stared at him.

His gaze shifted away from her, as he said “Would you quit staring, please? I’m just trying to be a good friend here.”

She didn’t reply. He sighed as he made eye contact with her. “You’re a little scary, you know that?”

She smiled. “I get that a lot.”

“You should smile more then. It kind of makes you a little less scary.”

Before she could reply, they heard someone shuffle their feet. Instantly, both heads turned towards the source of the sound. It turned out to be Haley, leaning on the doorframe to Scarlett’s room, in some borrowed pants and shirt with messed up hair.

She said “Don’t you guys think you should save the flirting for after you make sure your friend’s okay?”

“Oh, shut up, Haley!” Scarlett said, annoyed.

Haley chuckled and said “Sorry, I just had to!”

Nathan gave a small laugh too which earned him another glare from Scarlett.

Autumn’s door creaked open which grabbed everyone’s attention. She had changed her clothes from the gown to jeans and a blue top. Her open hair was bundled up into a high pony.

Scarlett couldn’t help but notice that her ruined makeup had been washed off and her eyes didn’t seem as tired as before.

“You clean up good.” She commented. “Now, for the love of god, just tell me what’s wrong!”

Autumn walked past Scarlett and picked up her phone. Looking into it, she said “I was being stupid, that’s all.”

“Elaborate please.” Scarlett demanded, letting her arms fall down to her side.