Gravity

Warning: This review is so fucking serious. Blame Heath Ledger's face/movies and Ryan Adams' music. I've been feeling depressed/unwarrantedly nostalgic lately and the combo of the two isn't helping.

Word Count: 2012

Title: Gravity.

Genre: Romance / Teen fiction

Blurb: 'Life was magical but then the night at the bar happened.'

Over the night, all thanks to a silly mistake, Sierra loses everything. Alone and teetering at the edge of insanity, Sierra is in for a lot of heartbreak and agony this Senior year. With each emotional encounter and each heartbreaking moment, the pain gets too much and when there's no way out, she lets go of the cliff she's been hanging from and closes her eyes as she falls into the arms of gravity.

Gravity, that doesn't feel like cold hard ground but a soothing heartbeat and a breathtaking smile.

'Life was dreadful but then the encounter with an abstract boy happened.'

Status: Ongoing

~~

Starting Points: 30

Cover: Not the greatest. In all honesty, since it is stated in the title that I'm obliged to obey, it's horrendous. To other people, it may be cute, endearing, and hey, even intriguing. But in my eyes, it looks like someone slapped text onto a basic Tumblr picture and called it a day. This cover doesn't give anyone a good sense of what this book maybe about...maybe corny hipster kids. That sounds viable. I've clicked on your book before like probably in the summer, and you've changed your cover quite a lot. The best one (to me) was the one with the girl with the hair hanging—you know what I'm talking about. *winks*

-Sorry, bud, but I have to do it. (-2)

Title: Simple. Short. Easy to remember. Not too original, but I won't hold it against you. For now. Let's get this on. No points lost.

Summary: For some reason it is the exact same thing from all the way in July (Jesus, you guys are so fucking patient. Bless your hearts). That's a bit alarming, since summaries should always be evolving. The idea should remain if it's strong enough, but I don't know, maybe it's just me that thinks things can be summarized in numerous ways? I would get bored looking at it.

...Anyway!

-So, the summary isn't good.

-Just so everyone is clear, a summary should be able to give the reader an actual strong plot they should look forward to. A plot with a gripping theme, outlined characters, and obvious conflict. This should all be summarized into a nice combustion to reel in fellow readers. Many of you all fail to do this, and it either irks my soul or depresses me.

-For the mechanics there were few errors, but here are some I caught (note: [ ] means to add and if it's underlined it means to remove):

-'Life was magical[,] but then the night at the bar happened.'

-"... Sierra is in for a lot of heartbreak and agony [her][s]enior year..."

-"With each emotional encounter and [each] heartbreaking moment..."

- "...gets too much [.] [W]hen there's no way out, she lets go of the cliff she [has] been hanging from[.] [Feeling the void surround her as] she falls into the arms of gravity.

- "Gravity[,] that doesn't feel like cold hard ground[,] but a soothing heartbeat[,] a breathtaking smile.

-Anyway, what is bothering me about this summary in particular is the lack of context, content, and really substantial ideas given to the reader. All we're provided with is pretty generic sentences consisting of the same themes that most people expect from teen fiction now. I'm severely underwhelmed, and this either isn't summarizing your story well or there isn't a strong plot underneath this weak summary.