Rising (N)

Word Count: 3162

UPDATE: The cover has (kind of) changed since the review.

Title: Rising

Genre: Teenage Fiction/Science Fiction/Dystopian

Blurb:

B L U E S watched in horror as one of them fell.    O R A N G E S raised arms, defended to no avail.    R E D S cried for blood, justice to be given.    P U R P L E S stood by, silent, only pride driven.    G R E E N S closed off, no solace to lend.    Y E L L O W S wanted peace, for violence to end.

The Deus Initiative was all they knew. With people dying faster than leaves falling in autumn, if seasons even still existed, a solution for the toxic atmosphere had to be found. Instead of finding a cure for the sky, the United States decided to make the new generation immune to the toxins.

Shortcuts, however, aren't always the best route to take.

In a remote facility, kids were tested on with one of six different color serums. The first test subject died. So did the second. After 250 kids killed, the first Project walked out alive, her orange irises twinkling. Sporadically, more of these genetically altered, pollution immune kids were being churned out, far different than anyone could have anticipated.

      These children were predestined to be the saviors that a nation desperately needed. Power, however, comes with a hefty price. Amidst a war of wills and the everlasting lust for freedom, how does one become a savior when they themselves are being torn apart on the inside.

Status: Ongoing

~

Starting Points: 30

Cover: Really nice! Looks professional and clean; I'd at least read the summary if I see this in either a library, a bookstore, or the recommended list on Wattpad. No points lost.

Title: Super boring and unimaginative. Maybe it's because I'm already biased against one-worded titles in most cases. They're too easy, require the bare minimum, and are generally reductive. I'm sure that it relates to the story somehow, in some way, sure--that can always be argued in its case. However, one-word titles like this one are poop on a platter. Really. With a little more brainstorming something more effective and original could have been the title. At least respect the people whose eyes skim over this book to be rewarded with diarrhea on a platter (served fresh, makes a better impression) instead of poop. Even if it's considered "shitty" at first hand, at least more care is taken to subvert meaning, leaving a greater amount of information to be taken in.

-"Like wow..." Jane mutters in astonishment at her cell phone screen. "Look at all those nuts. Who eats that much?" Do you see that? Intrigue, questions, that's what you want my friend. Get those little minds to stir with curiosity about what that hot watery waste suggests! *Sticks thumbs up*
(-1)

Blurb: It's pretty decent compared to other summaries on here, but on its own it is weak. As is, it looks like boneless chicken, which anyone with self-respect can agree that it's at least disconcerting if not straight up untrustworthy garbage. Okay, I'm getting sidetracked, I seriously just researched boneless chicken conspiracies—I have a problem with restricting distractions.

-Anywho, this summary manages to explain the situation of the world well, but not a lot can be said for the situation of the individual characters. Unless this story isn't focused on any set character, I think a look good tweaking is needed for clarity.

-As an interesting side note, I don't think leaving a set character(s) out of a summary would be such a problem depending on the culture the author and the reader are coming from. (Or the intent of the writer.) Western cultures usually stick to the tribulations of one or a couple of characters that revolves around the self (aka that can relate to us and our experiences) since we're essentially an individualistic culture. Whereas Non-Western culture works more as a collective identity, so a summary like this can be more of a norm than an individualistic take. But this is Wattpad, so I'm putting my bets on this being a simple problem of structuring. If it's not, then oops! 😬