Two Faced

You didn't even have time to register what was going on before Bucky came barging through the door of your shared bedroom.
"Oh your back!" You exclaim, having not expected him until this afternoon.
But when you look at him properly, straight away you know something's wrong. He runs his metal hand over his face and through his hair with a terrified look on his face as he paces the room with his head down.
"Are you okay?" You ask concerned.
"Steve's been shot." He blurts out.
You look at him in shock.
"Oh my god." You gasp. "Is he okay?"
"I don't know." He shakes his head flustered and finally looks up at you.

You can see the tears swimming in his eyes and immediately jump up to bring him into a hug. He walks straight into your open arms and rests his head on your shoulder. You can feel his body shaking as he begins to cry.
"Hey, hey, shh, I'm sure he'll be okay. He's Captain America for crying out loud." You stroke his back and sooth him.
He clutches onto you for dear life as if he is afraid to loose you or you are the only thing holding him together. There seems to be no sign of him calming down anytime soon. You know how much Steve means to him. Carefully, you move so that you are sitting on the bed and he continues to sob into the crook of your neck, leaning weakly against you.
"Where did the bullet hit him?" You sigh after a while, gently stroking his back.
"I-in the st-stomach." He stutters, struggling to get his words out.
You wince to yourself, that can't be good.
"Oh Buck, I'm sure he will be okay. Plenty of people have survived being shot in the stomach. And Steve Rogers of anyone can survive that." You say softly and stroke his hair.
"Y-your right, I g-guess." He mumbles, calming down a bit.
"How about you go get cleaned up and then we go see him? I take it he's in the infirmary?" You suggest.
Bucky looks up at you with sad eyes and a sad smile. "Okay." He sighs and leans in to kiss your lips softly before walking into the ensuite bathroom.
"Hey!" You call after him. "Don't worry, it'll be alright."

When he comes back out of the bathroom he is showered and shaved and looking a lot better. His messy hair has been pulled back into a low man bun. You can't even tell he's been crying anymore.
"Ah, that's better. You smell nice now." You tease as you walk over to him and pull him into another hug, although this time its back to normal as if he is the one holding you, just the way you like it.
You breath in the scent of his clean cotton t-shirt and musky-vanilla after shave and smile against his chest.
"I missed you." You mumble.
"I missed you too." He whispers into your hair as he presses a soft kiss on your head.
"You ready to do this?" You ask.
"Yep." He huffs, preparing himself.
You take his hand and lead him out the door.

Up at the infirmary it is clear from the commotion what room Steve is in. The minute you walk in you sense a change in Bucky's behavior. He starts to walk ahead of you, seeming more confident. The minute you set foot in his room it's like he's a different person.
"Hey punk!" Bucky shouts with wide arms as if he is surprising him as he bursts through the door and sees that Steve's awake.
"Hey Buck." Steve smiles tiredly as Bucky strides over to him.
"You stupid idiot! It's no different back in the good old days is it? You picking fights your never gonna win!" Bucky teases. "What'd you think was gonna happen? That bullet was gonna see that star on your chest, get scared and run away?"
Steve chuckles as Bucky playfully shoves his arm.

You just stand back, your mouth slightly ajar in shock as you try to recover from this sudden change in personality.
"You alright Kelly?" Steve frowns.
"What? Ah, yeah! Just, um, it seems a little weird seeing the mighty and strong Captain America cooped up in a hospital bed." You stumble over your words as you try yo cover up.
"Well, hopefully not for top long." Steve's smiles sheepishly.
"So!" Bucky jumps back in. "What's the doc's diagnoses? An incurable case of I'm-an-absolute-fool-who-needs-to-chill-out-with-all-the-fighting?"
Steve laughs lightly at this and shakes his head but soon winces and clutches his abdomin.
For a minute you think you see that same worry flash across Bucky's face but he quickly regains his cocky façade.
"It's my job Buck, what do you expect me to do?" He chuckles. "And it's just a couple days bed rest and then I should be right back at it thanks to my healing abilities." He beams proudly.
"Oh that's great!" Bucky exclaims and slaps him on the back. "Just don't go chasing after bullets this time." He adds warningly.
"I won't don't you worry." Steve smiles.
"Good, well, I'll leave you to get started on that rest then. See you later punk." He states before grabbing your hand and starting towards the door in a hurry.
"Bye jerk." Steve chuckles. "Bye Kelly." He adds with a wave.
"Bye Steve, feel better!" You call just as Bucky drags you out the door.

The minute you are out of Steve's sight and ear shot Bucky's face drops back into one flooded with worry.
"I should've taken that bullet for him." He mumbles.
"Bucky?" You ask him.
"He didn't look well." He continues stressed.
"James!" You say more urgently, having to run to keep up with his quick pace.
He doesn't speak, just keeps walking and runs his flesh hand through his hair.
"Bucky what the hell was that?" You finally snap.
"What?" He asks stopping and turning to you sheepishly when you get to the elevator.
"It was like you were a different person in there! One minute you were crying and worried he wasn't gonna live, the next you were making fun of the situation?" You exclaim.
"Steve can't see that I'm worried." He sighs.
"What do you mean? Why not?" You frown.
"Because if he knows I'm worried then he will worry about me and he's got too much else to worry about other than myself." He explains in a rush.
"Oh Buck." You sigh. "You really are such a good man and a good friend. Steve's lucky to have you and so am I."
"Not as lucky as I am to have you." He smiles as he steps into the elevator and pulls you into a hug.