Runaway

You sat in the lounge of the Avengers Tower gently rocking your newborn baby, Summer to sleep. She was only a month old but you already loved her so much and could see her cheeky little personality shining through. However, these past few days she hadn't been sleeping as well as she normally does, not since her father Bucky had gone away on a mission. He was the most amazing father to her and in your eyes. Always took his turns - and some extras - looking after her and just absolutely loved her to bits. But Fury had already sent him back on his first mission, after only one month and to say the least he was not happy about it. And Summer had noticed too, she had been acting up a bit since he had been gone, missed daddy's cuddles. But he was due home very soon and that made you so happy.
"Shhhh, shhhh, baby girl. You'll see daddy again soon." You whispered to her and placed a delicate kiss against her forehead trying to sooth her to sleep.
You felt her snuggle down into your collarbone and you lean back into the couch content to have cuddles with your baby girl until your husband got home. With your free hand not holding her you grabbed the remote and turned on the TV quietly to watch nothing in particular. You ended up spending most of the time staring at you anyway. After a whole month she still never ceased to amaze you by doing absolutely nothing.

After a while you heard the door open and came out of your trance to see Steve walk into the room. He smiled at you when he saw you, but something looked off about it. However, you just assumed he was tired.
"Hey Steve." You say softly.
"Hi." He whispers back as he comes over to give Summer an adoring little stroke.
"Shhh, she's just gotten to sleep." You warn quietly.
"Oh right, sorry." He gasps.
"It's okay, how was the mission?" You ask, adjusting yourself so that he can sit on the couch next to you. "Where's Bucky?" You added.
"Umm, about that." He mumbled.
He must've seen the dread come over your face.
"He's okay right now, he'll be here soon. But, um, he has to go. Away." He says gravely.
"What?" You cry and cradle Summer closer to your chest. "What do you mean? Why?"
"The mission was to infiltrate Hydra. And they found him. They're after him again. So he has to go on the run for a while. I'm sorry." He explained sadly.
You drew in a sharp breath and swallowed heavily to calm yourself, it wouldn't be fair to let your emotions out on Steve. It's not his fault.
"Where is he now?" You asked hoarsely.
"Gathering a few things from the armoury and other places to prepare himself. He will be here soon  I promise." He assured you and placed a hand on your arm.

As if on que the door flew open and a very distressed looking Bucky came barging in.
"Bucky." You gasped and stood up.
"Kelly." He sighed and came straight over to you, placing a hand on each of your arms. "I'm so sorry."
"Please don't do this." You beg him, tears threatening to spill.
"I have to." He says with emense sadness in his eyes.
"Why?" You sob.
"To keep you and Summer safe." He says seriously and strokes the top of Summers head. "I can't risk them coming after the two of you, not again. They've already done it once. I will not let them do it again."
"How long will you be gone?" You cry, you knew he was right, you couldn't let them take summer, or hurt any of the avengers.
"I don't know." He shakes his head. "Im sorry."
"Please, there must be another way." You say desperately.
He shakes his head and starts towards your bedroom.
"James." You growl through gritted teeth as he starts to gather some stuff up into a bag. "Don't do this. You can't leave your one month old child to grow up without her father, she needs you."
"Kelly, baby, I'm so sorry but this is the best, safest thing to do. I promise you I will be back as soon as I can but if I don't go they will come here and take you and her." He huffed, tears were flowing freely down his cheeks now too. "I just have to lay low for a while until they move on. I love you." He added hoarsely
You swallowed and squeezed your eyes shut, you knew this had to happen.
"I love you too Buck, so so much." You croaked. "Promise me, and her, you'll be back."
"I promise." He nodded and came back over to you.

Gently, he pulled you against him and placed a passionate kiss against your lips. He then took a still sleeping Summer from your arms and gently kissed her forehead.
"I'm so sorry to do this baby girl, but I'll be back I love you." He whispered before just holding her and staring at her.
She stirred a bit and reached up a hand to stroke his face. The two of you laughed lightly, a mixture of happiness and tears. He handed her back to you and looked at you sadly. He pulled you into a hug.
"I'll be back Kelly. I promise you. You won't even be able to tell I was gone. I love you." He muttered in your ear.
"I love you Buck." You cried into the crook of his neck.
"I have to go now. I'm so sorry." He sighed and kissed you one last time before jogging out the door.
"I'll miss you." You called out after him, but he was already gone.

Author's Note:
Part 2 to come....