Nightmares

The strange bumpy movement of the bed woke you up suddenly in the middle of the night. Confused and half asleep you rolled over to see your boyfriend thrashing around in his sleep. That's when you registered to the frantic, terrified noise of his whimpers and cries.
"No! Stop! Ahhhh!" He lashed out shouting.
"Bucky!" You whispered and shook his shoulder. "Bucky wake up!"
This was the first nightmare he had had in quite a while now. He didn't budge and his cries progressed to screams and he only flinched around more.
"Buck, please! It's just a dream!" You cried.
You hated seeing him like this, it was so upsetting for both of you. You just had to hope that it wasn't a flashback because that could reek all kinds of havoc with his head.

You tried to pull him over so that he was facing you but he was too strong. You yanked on his shoulder and all of a sudden he flipped around and before you even had time to register what was going on he had your throat in his metal hand and was shoving you down against the bed. You gasped in shock and looked up at him wide eyed as you struggled to breath. Straight away you knew what was wrong, he was having a flashback and it had triggered Winter. You knew because of the way his eyes were dull but wild and he stared at you uncomprehendingly.
"James." You choked out. "James it's me."
"What are you talking about?" He growled through gritted teeth.
"This isn't you." You gasped, hardly able to get the noises out.

Suddenly he lifted you up and slammed you against the wall on the other side of the room, now with two hands locked around your throat. He pressed you hard against the wall and your oxygen became fully cut off. Unable to make any noises anymore you let out short raspy gasps and clawed at his hands. He just glared at you snarling and unforgiving. Just as your vision started to gain black spots there was a loud bang as your bedroom door was kicked open and before you knew it Steve had punched Bucky square in the jaw sending him stumbling backwards.

You fell to the ground on your hands and knees trying to suck precious air back into your lungs without much help.
"Buck, stop!" Steve yelled as he pushed him down to the ground.
This only seemed to make Bucky madder and he lunged back up at Steve before moving forward to you in your defenseless position. Luckily Steve got him around the waist and yanked him back out of your reach. He quickly grabbed you.
"Kelly, let's get you out of here." He said sternly and marched you out of the door, placing you on the floor of the hall outside.
"No wait." You gasped as he headed back in. "I want to help him."
"It's not safe for you in there right now." He stated before he slammed the door shut.

You could here everything happening. Bucky's distinctive, aggressive growl as he threw himself at Steve, the thud as one of them hit the wall. Steve's muffled begging for Bucky to return. A lot of shuffling. And then other loud thud followed by a whimper as Bucky came back to himself.

Just then you got distracted by Natasha as she ran silently down the hall towards you.
"What's happened?" She asked with concern on her face.
"Bucky's... Had a flashback." You puffed as you got your breath back and trued to gather yourself by leaning back against the wall.
Tears started to cloud your eyes.
"Oh no, what did he do." She sighed sadly.
"Nothing too bad this time." You played it down. "Just strangled me and held me up against the wall." You explained in a hoarse voice. "It didn't even hurt that bad, it was just a shock."
"Oh man. This is gonna be a setback, he was doing so well." She huffed.
"I know." You agreed glumly.
Just then Steve walked out looking a little flustered. He let out a huge sigh.
"Is he alright? Can I see him?" You blurted out.
"Umm, maybe not right now." He said unsurely. "He's pretty upset with himself. Just give him some time."
You nodded. "Steve, how did you know to come?" You asked sheepishly.
"I heard him throw you against the wall." He stated seriously.
"Oh, well um, thank you." You said dully.
"Just held you there aye?" Nat eyed you.
"Are you alright?" Steve asked kneeling down beside you.
"Yeah I'm fine." You said exasperatedly as you brushed his hand away from your neck where he was examining the damage. "I just want to see Bucky and show him that."
"Well I don't think that's a good idea right now." Steve hinted.
"To bad." You replied flatly before getting up and opening the door.
"Kell no wait!" You heard both Steve and Natasha explain before you clicked the door shut behind you.

It was dark in the room and you couldn't see him anywhere.
"Bucky?" You whispered softly.
You were rewarded with a sniffle coming from the other side of the room.
"Buck?" You asked again.
"Stay away." He whimpered. "Don't come near me. I'm a monster."
"Oh baby." You said sadly as you found him huddled up in the corner of the room on the floor. "Don't say that about yourself. It's not true."
You carefully sat down infront of him. He had his knees pulled up to his chest, his arms wrapped around his legs defensively and his face hidden between his knees.
"But I hurt you." He sobbed.
"No you didn't, I'm absolutely fine." You assured him.
"Don't lie." He mumbled guiltily.
You gently lifted his chin up.
"I'm not, see." You showed him. "You didn't even hold on that hard and it wasn't for that long." Ok so maybe that bit was a bit of a lie, but he didn't know that and you truly felt fine.
You wiped the tears from his cheeks and looked into his sad puppy dog eyes which were now back to there normal gorgeous self.
"How do you keep putting up with me?" He cried. "What if I hurt you again? How can you trust me?"
"Because I know that when that happens that it is not James Buchanan Barnes, the man that I love very much. And I'm willing to take that risk. There are far more good qualities to Bucky Barnes than the bad ones of The Winter Soldier that make it all worth it." You whispered to him.
He looked at you with the most adoring expression.
"I love you." He smiled sadly.
"I love you so much too and nothing will ever change that." You replied and pulled him into your lap to comfort him.