Chapter 16

I was in horrible pain the whole way back to Finch Farm, but did my best to hide it. When we arrived at the shack with his son, Mr. Finch was nearly in tears. He handed me a bag of caps, and thanked me many times. Jake handed me a sword, as his thanks. I took their gifts and smiled to them. After finishing our business, Deacon and I started the long walk back to Sanctuary. When we were just out of sight of the farm, Deacon stopped me, and put his hand on my shoulder.

"You aren't okay. I can see right through your facade."

"Of course I'm okay. Let's just try to hurry back to Sanctuary. I need to dump all this stuff I brought." 

I pulled away from his grasp and kept walking. I needed to rest, but I wasn't going to do that until I was surrounded by people I can trust. 

...

As soon as we got back, I dropped all the new stuff I got into the workshop, then went inside the wooden house I built, and laid on the bed. Deacon came upstairs and stood next to the bed.

"Anything I can do?"

I thought for a minute, then nodded.

"Yeah, could you tell Piper to come up here? And you should go rest too. It's been a long couple of days for both of us."

"You especially, boss. I'll get Piper for you."

I smiled a bit at him, then he left my room. I needed Piper to help me with a slight problem I have.

A few minutes later, Piper walked in with a bowl of noodles and a water for me. she sat on the bed next to me, and smiled at me.

"I brought you some food. Deacon said you wanted me? Whatcha need, Blue?"

I smiled back at her, relieved to have my closest friend with me.

"Well, I was hoping you could give me some advice."

Piper's face lit up, and then she grinned.

"Ooh, I know what you need. You have feelings for someone. And it isn't hard to guess who."

I blinked, then shook my head.

"What? No. Don't even say it. Deacon already asked."

She looked surprised.

"He did? What did you say?"

"I said no way. Never. Not happening."

She lifted her eyebrow, looking confused.

"I think we're talking about different situations here. What did Deacon ask?"

I thought for a second, wondering what she meant by different situations.

"He asked if Preston and I were... you know. A thing."

Piper started laughing. 

"What? No, that I can't see happening. He's so... uh. How do you put that nicely?"

I grinned.

"Exactly. Anyways, back to the original thing. You were sort of right. I am too attached to Deacon. I threatened to kill a kid who held him hostage. I can't be doing that, I might as well be a raider at that point."

Piper had a mischievous smile.

"Blue, get out of that Egyptian river."

"What?"

"You're in de-Nile. You like him."

I sighed. 

"Problem is I can't get attached to someone else, I already lost a husband. And, we are partners, as in we work together. Also a problem."

Piper fixed her hat.

"I say go for it. It'll help you through hard times. Not to mention the fact that he obviously has a thing for you. Have you seen the difference in the way he acts around you compared to others? It's so obvious, Blue."

I looked down, thinking. I thought he was just acting like a good partner, always having my back. I stood up and walked to the window, looking at the settlers walking around and working.

"Thanks for the talk, Piper. Really. I have to think about it. I don't want to make any rash decisions."

Piper nodded, and walked out of the house. 

I sat back on the bed and ate the food she brought me. I wasn't sure what to do.