When Worlds Collide - Chapter Three

Ben Collins ------>

"You live here?" Were the first words out of Ben's mouth as I opened the door.

"No I exist here." I shrugged. "Want a tour of the Taylor household?"

"Jeez, do we have time?" I grabbed his hand and pulled him through the door. We had four bedrooms, four bathrooms, a study, two lounges and a kitchen and dining room. When I took him to the double garage he let out a low whistle of appreciation.

"Beautiful isn't she?" Josh smirked as Ben eyed up his new car. "I'm Josh, B's brother." He held out his hand for Ben.

"Ben, Brooke's new friend." He shook my brother's hand then they were gone. Discussing the blood red car sitting next to my SUV. My dad was next in the garage and he seemed to take a liking to Ben too. The atmosphere turned sour with the arrival of Harvey Anderson at the garage door.

“Oh hell no Brooke, get away from that psyco!” Harvey grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him.

“Get off me!” I squirmed in his arms. “I invited him here!”

“Are you seriously trying to hurt me Brooke?” He stared into my eyes.

“Anderson, get your filthy hands off my sister.” With a look of rage in his eyes he let me go.

****

Dinner was awkward. Ben and Josh really got on well, they talked and talked - sports, cars, girls.. You name it, they talked about it. Mom made me sit next to Harvey. Then came the ‘young love’ talk and how soon we will be in college… then married… then parents.  I was glad when it was finally over. I couldn’t handle the death stares Harvey and my own mother kept throwing at Ben when he wasn’t looking. How freaking rude! Ben’s mother is so polite to me and has taken some time to have a conversation with me, but my mom…

“So shall I see you tomorrow?” Ben asked as he leaned against his car. I took a step forward. His hands wrapped around my waist. “I thought maybe we could go surfing?”

“Cool. It just sucks I can’t stay with you tonight. The Anderson’s will be here all night. Even freaking Josh jumped ship and left. What happened to women and children first?” I buried my head in his chest and laughed. The smell of Cool Waters intoxicated me. “Anyway, go… before your friends have my blood for keeping you all to myself.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow Brooke, goodnight beautiful.” He kissed me gently just once on the lips then got in his car. I waved as he drove off my street and turned the corner. Harvey was sat on the stairs as I walked in the door.

“Sorry for being a jerk B. I just want things the way they were.”

“Come with me.” I motioned for him to follow me upstairs. When I opened the door to my room, a smile crept on his face. He probably thinks we’ll get back together and I’ll give myself up to him. I asked him politely to take a seat on my bed. I paced the floor thinking how best to say what needs to be said. “The thing is.,, What I need from you is a clean break okay? No calls, no texts, no facebook and none of the crap that’s yours in my room.”

In my closet I pulled out a trash bag of all the things he had given me over the last year and a half. Teddy bears, necklaces, bracelets, earrings. There were pictures of the whole gang of us. Pictures of just me and Harvey. The ticket stubs from our dates at the movies.

All of it trash.

“No B..”

“Get out.” I whispered.

“This is that rat Ben. He’s told you to do this to get in your pants Brooke, can’t you see that?”

“Maybe he’s already been there Harvey. Now get out.” I held the door open for him. He stormed down the stairs and threw the front door open. I watched him throw the bag in the back of his jeep. With a furious look on his face he slammed the door as he came back in.

We joined our parents in the lounge and drank coffee's while they talked business and current events. All I wanted was for the night to be over. I couldn't help the smile when Ben texted me saying he was at the bar and everyone says hi. My mother tutted and shook her head.

"Him?" Harvey spat with venom in his voice.

"Nope." I said popping the P. "Simone, she's apologizing for wasting her time with someone who has such a small dick." The two women in the room gasped. My poor father wanted to laugh, I could see it in his face. "And she says to say check yourself, she's got a rash and an itch." I smiled nicely and left the room, my mom screaming for me to come back.

****

I drove the streets listening to the radio. After the seventh missed call from my mom I turned my phone off. I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going. Any normal saturday night I'd be partying or having sleepovers with the girls...but seeing as though I don't really like parties anymore and I have no girls, my life sucks.

I pulled up at a twenty-four hour gas station to buy some soda and snacks. I walked in head down counting what little change I had in my purse when I looked up. There he was, black pants, black hoodie and a mask on his face. The little bell above the door must have startled him when I walked in.

It pointed in my direction. The gun. My heart stopped. This is him. The guy who had been stealing all over town, he was pointing his gun at me. Slowly he lowered it. He walked slowly towards me. My breathing sped up. Oh god, a panic attack!

He looked me right in the eyes and grabbed my arm. He dragged me to an alley round the corner. I was too scared to scream. 'Hostage' ran around my head. Thank god my parents have money. He dropped the bag of money and put the gun in the back of his pants. Keeping hold of my arm he took his mask off.

"Brooke what the hell were you doing there?" Ben asked me. I burst into tears and punched his chest with my free hand. "Brooke I'd never hurt you, I've never hurt anyone.". Ben let go of my hand. "Go."

I stood still for a moment before I leapt in his arms and kissed him with so much passion and force.

"You are the only good thing in my life Ben. A good guy, with a hint of bad ass." I smirked. "Meet you at your place? I think we need to talk." With a smile and a nod Ben took off running down the alley. I composed myself, taking my credit cards and cash from my purse. I threw them behind a dumpster and ran the way Ben dragged me.

The police were already at the gas station. The store clerk pointed at me as I ran towards them. "Officer! He stole my purse! He ran down 15th towards Milton."

"Ma'am, how did you get away?"

"I kicked him where it hurt and he let go. Can I go, my parents will be worried."

"Sure, call by the station tomorrow." I took the officer's card and climbed into my car. I smiled as I made my way across town to Ben's place.

We sat on the couch, the clock ticking the silence away. Ben must have cleared his throat at least half a dozen times. "So," he sighed for the millionth time.

I took his hand in mine and smiled. "Ben, that's you all over the news isn't it? You steal for a living?"

"Not for a living Brooke, for extra cash to support my mom." He put his head in his hands. "I feel so freaking stupid. I could have hurt you tonight! And believe me that's the last thing I ever want to do. You deserve better than some petty criminal."

"I'm in love with a criminal." I blushed. "Thought I'd better tell you as we are going on a little honesty home run here." I laughed nervously.