Chapter 26 : Jeff's secret

Chapter 26

The next day...

Riker POV

I'd been thinking about Jeff nonstop. What could be wrong? I'd literally thought about this almost all night. I barely got any sleep at all. 

And then I thought about Sophia. What if she's doing something to him? That's honestly the only thing I could think of. It can't possibly be anything else, could it? Whenever I'm with him, he seems fine. And when I'm not with him for those 2 classes, Sophia is. So... 

I sort of took Jeff's phone while he was in the bathroom, and texted Sophia, asking if she wanted to come over. And she said yes. I deleted the texts from Jeff's phone, and put it back where I found it.

I borrowed one of Jeff's shirts, and put it on. He's like one or two sizes smaller than me because he's so skinny. The shirt was a little tight, but it was fine for now. I heard the shower go on, so I knew Jeff wouldn't be out for a little while. Hopefully long enough for my plan...

I went downstairs to wait for Sophia. And she was here within 10 minutes.

I met her outside on my front porch.

"Why'd you want me to come over?" Sophia asked.

"I just wanted to talk," I said, quietly, pretending to be Jeff.

"Well then let's talk," she said, grabbing my wrist tight. 

Her nails dug into my wrist. She pulled me over to her car. We got in the backseat.

"Did you tell your stupid brother anything?"

"Who? Riker?"

"Yeah."

"No... W-what am I not allowed to tell him?"

"Stop playing dumb, Jeff."

She slapped me hard, and my cheek stung.

"Ow!"

"Stop whining like a little baby!"

She slapped me again. 

"Ow! Don't do that!"

She pinned me up against the side of the car with her hands around my neck.

"Well look who's trying to fight back. Poor little pathetic Jeffrey."

"I'm not Jeff! I'm Riker!" I shouted, grabbing her hands, trying to pry them off of me.

Sophia wasn't budging, and she kept holding onto my neck tighter and tighter. I was beginning to choke, and it was hard to breathe. I grabbed the door handle, and opened the door. I fell backwards. Sophia let go, and let me fall onto the pavement. And I sort of banged my head a little. 

"Don't you dare come near my brother ever again!" I shouted, getting up.

"Watch me."

She got into the driver's seat, and drove off.

I thought I was being a pretty good big brother, protecting Jeff. Little did I know, what was going on inside.

I walked back to my house, and opened the door. I heard screaming and yelling from the living room. Jeff, mom, Rydel, and Rocky were all in there.

"It's all his fault! Tell him!" Jeff shouted, pointing at me.

"Me? What did I do?" I asked, walking into the living room.

"You wanted to get back at me for making out with Mikayla, so you called Sophia, and did the same exact thing to me! I saw you out there, Riker!" Jeff shouted, crying.

"Ok, I can explain-"

"No! No, you can't!" Jeff shouted.

I tried to come closer. 

"Jeff-"

"Stay away from me, Riker!" He shouted, jumping up, and running upstairs.

I turned back to mom, Rydel, and Rocky. Mom had a very disapproving look on her face.

"Riker, sit down," mom said.

I sat down on the couch.

"Look. I can explain everything. Remember when I told you he was being weird, and wasn't telling me something? Sophia, his ex now, she was hurting him. At least I'm pretty sure she was. I couldn't think of anything else, so I called her up to go talk to her. And she thought I was Jeff, and threatened me not to tell Riker about what she's been doing. She's obviously hurting him! That's why he ditches me every day at school! He's not going to the bathroom. He's being threatened, and then hurt by her!"

They'd better believe me.

"Riker, I want you to talk to your father about this when he gets home."

"Am I in trouble?"

"No. I'm glad you were looking out for Jeff. Except maybe next time you can do it in a different way."

"Yes, mom..."

"Thank you. I would suggest trying to talk to Jeff now."

"Yeah. Of course."

I got up, and walked upstairs. I was actually kind of shocked at how mad he was at me. I mean... I've only ever seen him scared. I just wasn't expecting it, I guess...

I made my way upstairs, and opened the door.

"Jeff, no!"