Chapter 7 : Mall trip and trust

Chapter 7

Later...

Riker POV       

Jeff didn't eat much for dinner. But if his body is not used to eating much, I'm not expecting him to suddenly eat a ton. 

I'd just gotten out of the shower, and I went to my room. I'd given Jeff his clean sheets to put on the bed, and his bed was all made again.

"Hey... How are you doing?" I asked, putting my dirty clothes away.

"I'm ok..."

"Just ok?"

"My stomach hurts..."

"Does it hurt every time you eat?"

"Yeah..."

"That's weird..."

"I actually threw up last night... That's why I was in the bathroom when we got home."

"Oh... Are you alright?"

"Yeah... It just happens sometimes..."

"Ok... Well are you ready for bed?"

"Riker, remember when you said I could talk to you?"

I noticed he wasn't stuttering. So that's improvement, right!?

"Yeah."

"Well could we talk for a minute?"

"Sure."

"Ok... Um... I don't know if I can... sleep. Um... And if I tell you why, I might have a panic attack."

"Come here."

Jeff got up, and I made him get into bed next to me.

"Alright. I promise you're totally completely safe right here. So if you think that could help you tell me...?"

"Um... I think it helps a little..."

"What else would help?"

"Can you come closer?"

"Yeah."

I moved so we were touching, and I lightly put my arm around him.

"Ok, how's that?" I asked.

"Better... Um... S-so my p-parents um... t-they would c-come in m-my room at n-night... l-like w-while I w-was s-sleeping... And um... T-they would b-beat me," Jeff said, his voice cracking.

I slightly tightened my grip on him.

"A-and uh... I j-just started s-staying up s-so I'd b-be r-ready for it."

I sighed.

"Jeff, I don't know what to say... That's awful..."

"And I hate the dark, and everything just scares me!" He said, finally breaking into tears.

"Hey. It's ok. I promise nothing will hurt you here. I'm not really a fan of the dark either. Tomorrow when we're at the mall, we can go get a nightlight. How about that? It'll even make me feel a little better."

"Ok... Thanks, Riker," Jeff whispered.

"You're welcome."

I pulled him into a hug, and he didn't feel as tense as last time, but he still didn't feel all the way relaxed, which I can totally understand.

"If you want, I can ask mom if we can leave the hall light on tonight. And then we can leave our door open so we won't be in complete darkness, ok?"