Chapter Twenty-Nine

“Blake? Are you alright there?”

“No! I’m not alright! I’m bloody rushed off my feet here! I’ve got a ton of documents to file, the stock market’s been open for three hours and I haven’t even had a look, the taxi is coming to collect me to take me to a meeting in 20 minutes and I haven’t even said good morning to my girlfriend, kissed her and asked her ‘What’s for breakfast?’!”

“Whoa, Blakey, slow down! It’s okay, the documents I’ve got. For breakfast? Bacon and scrambled eggs like you love, coffee on the table. Not much variation in the stock, down by -0.87% last time I looked. Good morning.” She kissed his lips.

He sighed, “You always know what to say Mia…. Wait. Where’s my phone?”

“Telephone table along with your keys and pager.”

He reached to his neck, “Tie? Where’s my tie?”

“Turquoise shirt, black tie.” She seemed to magically produce a black dress tie and tied it deftly around his neck in a Windsor knot.

“Thank you baby.” He slowly leaned forward to kiss her and she pouted her lips.

Suddenly, the taxi beeped outside before he could reach her lips, he had been a fraction of a centimetre ahead.

He swore under his breath, “I’ve got to go baby,” he took a sip of coffee and shovelled a few mouthfuls of bacon and eggs into his mouth, pulling on his jacket, “I’ll talk later okay? Enjoy your day off.” He gave her a greasy kiss on the forehead, picked up his phone, keys and briefcase and shut the door behind him.

Amelia exhaled.

Talk about a whirlwind!

They had… ‘slept’ through the alarm that morning and only noticed it when Amelia knocked it with her hand accidently. That was another whirlwind for sure!

Ever since California, Blake had been more loving and caring that ever. It was the start of their relationship all over again: flowers, chocolates, strawberries and cream, extravagant presents and nights out. She was quite overwhelmed by it all, really. She had never been a materialistic girl but Blake felt it necessary to shower her with gifts. It wasn’t that she didn’t appreciate it, it was just… how do I tell him I want him for who he is not what he can buy me?

She sighed, dropping her empty plate into the sink. It wasn’t the simple romance anymore, horse riding outback, dinners by the open fireplace, rainy days watching movies under the covers. Some of the Blake she had fallen in love with… but not all of him.

She accepted he was just trying to prove himself because of Lexygate, but he didn’t have to. She had finally realised how much Blake loved her.

She pulled out her phone and pressed the number 3 on speed dial. It rang twice before picking up.

“Hello, Kaitlin Crawford.”

“Kait, it’s me, you know it’s me, you have Caller ID.” Amelia rolled her eyes