Chapter Twenty-One

“You may kiss your bride.”

James’ face broke out into a huge grin as he swooped Kaitlin into his arms and gave her a dramatic kiss. She giggled, linking her beautifully manicured hands around his neck and returning the kiss.

Amelia couldn’t stop grinning. Her best friend married to her brother, and the both of them so in love! Mere months ago if someone had told her that, she would’ve laughed.

But there they both stood, looking into each other’s eyes lovingly and she was so happy.

Mr and Mrs James Crawford.

Once in the reception venue, Amelia was the first person – after Kaitlin’s parents, Mr and Mrs Crawford Snr. and Ally and Seth – to hug the blushing bride.

“Oh Kait!” they wrapped their arms around each other and squeezed tight.

Amelia pulled back to see tears glistening in Kaitlin’s eyes. Amelia too felt herself welling up with tears and she wiped her eyes.

“Don’t start.” Amelia said

Kaitlin beamed, “Oh Mia, I’m so happy, so, so happy.”

“Rightly so Mrs Crawford! You make a beautiful bride.”

Kaitlin blushed, “You think so?”

Amelia nodded, “And I know you’ll make an even better sister-in-law. Baby sis.”

That set Kaitlin off as she began to cry happy tears.

“I always wanted a big sister.”

Amelia squeezed her tight, “You’ve had her from the start.”

“Hey, hey, hey, what’s all this?” the two women felt James’ surrounding warmth and they both smiled.

“Come on my two favourite ladies. No crying, you’ll smudge your makeup.”

Amelia and Kaitlin laughed away their tears, looking up at James.

“That’s it, there you go! Mia, you okay? Mind if I steal my beautiful wife for our first dance?”

Kaitlin beamed at the word ‘wife’.

Amelia shook her head, “You two go and have some fun.”

Kaitlin kissed James’ cheek, “Go on honey, I’ll catch up.”

James looked puzzled but nodded and walked off.

“I’ve got some news.”

“News? Oh, and by the way Kait, is the buffet table open yet? I’m feeling quite peckish. You?”

“Yeah sure,” Kaitlin smiled, Amelia went to make off, “Get me extra, I’m eating for two.”

Amelia stopped dead in her tracks and turned to Kaitlin, her mouth open wide, her vision dropping to Kaitlin’s flat stomach.

“You’re—“

“Shh!” Kaitlin giggled, “You can’t say!”

Amelia grinned, “Oh Kait, I’m going to have a niece or nephew!”

“And you’re going to be a godmother.”

Amelia gasped, “You want me to be?”

“Of course Mia! As long as you don’t tell James about this...little secret.”

“You haven’t told him?”

Kaitlin smiled, “I was going to tell him during our first dance.”