The great outdoors

Start from the beginning

After fishing for a few more minutes, my net gets snagged by a twig. There is a large hole in it. Seeing this, James kindly offers his net to me, but I politely decline. "Let's keep going!" I tell him.  

We continue to hike up the grueling hill only stopping for a few rests and water breaks. There are different paths to choose from and we pick randomly. 

We finally reach the top of the hill after about another hour. I am drop dead tired; I plop myself on the green grass and stare at the sky. James starts to set up the picnic blanket. He takes some food out of his backpack and I empty mine. We share what we brought. He brought potato chips, PB&J sandwiches, and banannas. I brought apples, subs, and granola bars. We divide the food amongst ourselves. 

"Hey James? Can I ask a question?" 

"You just did, but okay." 

"When can I meet your little sister?" 

"How do you know about her?" 

"Your Facebook profile picture." 

"Oh well, never." 

"Why not? Do you not want me meeting your family?" 

"No, no! Its not that, but...Um...I don't want to talk about it, okay? Can we please change the subject?" James stutters. 

"Okay. What made you move back here?" 

"I don't want to answer that." 

"Is there anything you do want to answer? Gosh. If you really like me, you're going to have to tell me these things." 

"It's really complicated,okay? I will tell you, I promise, later." 

"Fine. Why were you acting like such a jerk when I first met you and now you're all nice and sweet?" 

"I was trying to be someone Im not. It didn't really work out." he says. 

"Why would you do that? You weren't even nice! You drove people away more than you brought them in!" 

"That is also complicated, but basically, I wanted I drive people away, but then I met you. And my whole plan crumbled. I was trying to not get attached to anyone, but thant obviously didn't work." James says looking into my eyes. 

"Why would you want to drive people away?" I just don't get it! 

"The more people you love, the easier it is to get hurt." 

"Well that's an extremely depressing and negative way to look at things." 

"Yeah. You cleared it all up, though. I owe you for that. Thanks." 

"No problem. It's starting to get dark now. Should we head back? It took us a long way to get up here with the many breaks we took. I hope its easier to get down." 

"Yeah, you're right. We should probably pack up. I didn't realize how much time had gone by! Wow, we better hurry or we could get lost." James says gathering all our trash and food as I fold the typical red and white plaid picnic blanket. I love picnics! 

"We won't get lost, right?" 

"Um...yeah. I know the way." James says grabbing the basket after everything has been packed. 

"Ok, lead the way!" 

An hour later and it is pitch black dark. James is carrying the flashlight as I follow him staying close. We're lost, of course. James directions have just led us in circles and I am really starting to regret not walking to the station to pick up a map or picking a trail James is more familiar with.  

"Do you think we're almost there?" I ask staying close to James. I hear an owl hooting and I can see bats flying above me in the little moonlight that penetrates the air below the tall trees. It's like your typical horror movie and I'm starting to get the heebiejeebies. I'm honestly very creeped out right now. 

"Um...yeah. Any minute now." James stutters. Yeah right. 

"You really think so? You've been saying that fr the last half hour James..."  

"Well, I mean it this time. I know we're gettin close." 

"I sure hope so. The sooner we get out of these woods the better." I say. My teeth start to chatter in the cool summer night air. 

"Are you cold?" James asks concerned. 

"Um...just a little, but it's nothing." I say. 

"Here, take my jacket." Says James and he takes off his black leather jacket to reveal a plain white t-shirt and some very muscular, yummy biceps. 

"Thanks." I say blushing a scarlet red at the realization of how cliche this is. If only James could see my heated cheeks in the dark. He'd surely make fun of me. 

After a few more minutes of wondering through the forest I can see that James is getting frustrated. "Ya know what, screw paths. If we travel downwards we'll get there!" James advises. 

"Is that safe?" 

"Maybe not, but being in the forest is not where I'd like to be at this time of night." 

"Okay, sure, let's do it." 

So, we travel down the steep decline of the hill. I am growing increasingly tired. My eyes start to droop and my legs wobble in exhaustion. My walk becomes zigzaggy and I trip over a sharp rock. I start to fall down the hill. Fall-not roll like in the movies. 

"Addison!" James calls out. Following me as fast as he can without falling himself. 

Eventually, my falling ceases and I am just laying on the gravel road staring at the sky. 

"Addison, are you alright?" James asks as he reaches me sprawled on the side of the rocky road. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Gosh, I'm such a clutz," I say with a sigh as he smirks at me and helps me up from my position.