Chapter 58/Demonstrating a Demonstration

The news that night was full of Io's trial. Io by law couldn't say anything in public but Memphis had send copies of himself to be interviewed on a number of news channels. We had come up with the idea of crowd sourcing the idea of how to defend Io but the response came back which could be generally summariezed as 'If she shows emotions then she is not a robot'. Next morning we had dressed her in her most un-robotic clothes and attached one of those bracelet's you put on young children to track them if you loose them. We took the hyper-loop back to New York early there was no way I was going to let Io be late. The hyper-loop didn't drop us off at the normal station. Apparently, it was overused and the area around it was full of a huge crowd. We got off at a different stop and walked quickly to the courthouse. We still had plenty of time to get there for 10:00.

"What's going on?" I asked my Kentro.

" The courthouse entrances is blocked by demonstrators Madam," said Kentro.

I looked out there was a steady stream of robots and people carrying signs and placards getting out of the hyper-loop with us. We followed the crowd as we moved out of the station. The people with us were carrying pro sky girl signs but no-one recognized Io herself ( we had nudged Io out of her rock chick look for her court appearance, even George looked smart enough to run for office). We walked along, some people had brought their kids and everything seemed good natured. We seemed to be walking to the court house and I guessed eventually we could get near and then go through the inevitable police barriers.

'<BING>' began my earrings. 'News Bentham calls for supporters to rally at the courthouse to 'protect civilization. Thousands turn up'

That made no sense what's so ever. How was this ? The crowd flowed towards the courthouse and we were carried along with them. Some of the demonstrators in the support Io ralley recognized me.

"You're that Martian girl who helps robots," said one kind but shockingly round woman from Kentucky who told me she had a hobby of breeding pedigree pet rocks.

Where do you begin with that one? We were walking slowly but in the right direction, we had plenty of time so I wasn't worried. I didn't want to start pushing because it would call attention to Io who might get swamped with fans. Eventually, the crowd slowed down and stopped. I looked over the crowd ( I was wearing my big girl stilettos to appear as tall and grown up as possible). In the distance, I saw a second group of placards. These held a number of messages like.

'I love my planet' , 'hell no robot is going to tell me what to do' 'humanity united against androids' , 'think of what that girl robot will do to your children'.

For a second I wondered if they had a clear idea of what they were doing there. Or they had completely miss understood the reason behind the demonstration?

"It appears to be a counter demonstration Miss," said Kentro.

I could hear arguments in the distance. One side was talking to the other. 

"She's a nice girl" said one.

"I love my country" shouted a loud voice back "no robot girl and any robot lover is going to stop me defending it"

"We need move love in our lives" shouted another voice.

"You're not my mother, you can't tell me what to do or say. You clone lovers are all the same. I'm free hear that? I'm freee FREE" said one of Bentham supporters in response.

"You're not going to make me kiss you ass. NO WAY" shouted another Bentham support. voice back

"That not what I said Jack ass" shouted a voice from the pro-Io marchers back.