“What does that have to do with the phone call?” I asked.

“He wants me to drop you off somewhere,” she muttered.

“Where?” I asked eagerly.

She smirked and got off the bed.

“Where?” I repeated, staring up at her.

“You’re probably going to get pissed at him,” she replied.

My eyebrows knit in confusion. “Why?”

“Come on, let’s go,” she said, grabbing the car keys from a bowl full of tiny, colorful pebbles.

 Glancing at myself in the mirror for the last time, I walked out of the room.

“Mom! I’m going out; I’ll be back in 30 minutes!” Erica yelled and walked out of the door.

“Ashley, you look wonderful, dear,” Mrs. Wilson said, entering the living room and giving me a bright smile.

“Thank you,” I replied politely.

Erica honked from the driveway and saying bye to Mrs. Wilson, I walked out of the door and hopped in the car.

*

My eyebrows furrowed as I frowned. “Why are we at my place?”

“You tell me!” Erica exclaimed, fiddling with the radio.

I stared at the plain house in front of me. Why would Ethan ask Erica to drop me at my house? Weren’t we supposed to go on a date?

My phone buzzed and I unlocked it to read the text I got from Ethan.

Still know how to climb pipes, Rapunzel? ;)

My lips slowly turned into a smile as I recalled the night Ethan had been my so-called knight. I would never forget that day. I got to see a side of Ethan I had never seen before; the soft, sweet and caring side of him. I remembered the amount of food of we had shoved down our throats and softly chuckled. Remembering the scared, hollow feeling in the pits of my stomach when I realized that the window might have been locked, I giggled.

“Ash, stop being such a weirdo,” Erica said, giving me a weird look.

Ignoring her snide comment, I said, “Thanks for dropping me here.”

“You better be,” Erica mumbled.

Laughing, I got out of the car and halted in my tracks to reply to Ethan.

Of course I do, why?

His reply came almost instantly.

Ready to climb a pipe now? ;)

I rolled my eyes and replied – No! I’m wearing a dress, genius.

As I looked around, I noticed that the flowers mom had planted had dried and lost their color. I sighed and walked towards the sand pot and softly touched the leaves. They instantly crumbled under my fingers and fell on the hardened sand which had cracks. Staring at the dried leaves, I realized that in life you always need someone with you; someone to take care of you. No matter how strong you are, someday you will need someone to depend on.

My phone buzzed once again and I stared at the lighted screen.

Oh damn. Why didn’t I think of that! …Just come in through the front door. :/

Surprised that Ethan was in my house, I walked towards the door. How the hell did he get in my house! Ringing the doorbell thrice, I crossed my arms over my chest.

My Best Friend's BrotherOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara