Chapter 24

Austin outstretched his hand towards Ethan and hesitating; Ethan shook his hand and gave me a confused look.

“We used to go to the same school when I used to live in Germany,” I explained.

Austin nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah, we were quite close.”

I smiled at Austin. He stilled looked the same; his messy, soft hair covered his forehead and the dimple on his right cheek was deeper than before. I bet the ladies were swooning over him; he’s got the brains and the looks. Austin was more towards the gullible, cute side and I had pulled a few pranks on him in school a few years ago.

“What are you doing here?” I asked again, still surprised.

“I’m here as an exchange student for about a month,” he replied.

“Wow! That’s great!” I exclaimed, grinning.

“Totally. A whole month away from my parents, that’s heaven,” he stated with a smirk.

I sighed. “Are they still treating you like you’re ten?”

He nodded, annoyed.

Laughing, my eyes landed on Ethan and I noticed he seemed a bit uncomfortable. He kept looking around awkwardly; he looked as if he was waiting for Austin to leave. I don’t blame him though; if Ethan had come across an old friend and started reminiscing with her, I would feel unwanted and awkward too.

“Hey, you want to dance?” Austin asked suddenly.

“I-uh-um-” I stuttered, looking at Ethan, who didn’t seem very happy about the idea.

Noticing my hesitation, Austin said, “Am I interrupting something?”

“Well-uh-I’m actually on a date with Ethan,” I explained, giving Ethan a quick smile.

“But it’s a dance, I’m sure Ethan wouldn’t mind,” he responded, shrugging. “Would you, Ethan?” he asked, turning to Ethan with raised eyebrows.

“No, no, of course not,” Ethan muttered, forcing a smile on his perfectly shaped face. I couldn’t help but notice how adorable he looked jealous and felt a small smirk form on my face.

“Great!” Austin exclaimed. He clearly didn’t see that Ethan did have a problem with this and grabbed my hand as he pulled me towards the dance floor. I looked over my shoulder to take a look at Ethan. He shoved one of his hands in his pocket and raised the cup he was holding sarcastically as if to say ‘have fun.’ I gave him an apologetic smile but he ignored it, turning towards the counter to sit. 

Reaching the dance floor, Austin and I managed to squeeze in the crowd. We started swaying to the beat.

“So, how’s Germany?” I asked, yelling over the loud music.

“It’s pretty good, still the same,” he yelled back, shrugging.

I nodded.

“You’ve changed a lot in the past few years,” he remarked.

I frowned. Moving closer to him, so I didn’t have to yell, I asked, “What do you mean?”

“You’re hotter and prettier. And of course, your dressing style is much better,” he said, flashing me a smile.

“Really?” I asked, surprised.

“Yup,” he replied, nodding.

“How?” I asked, feeling myself grow curious.

“Well, for starters, you never wore heels; you were more into converse and tennis shoes. And you loved wearing jeans, shorts and just plain tee shirts with probably a jacket. And your hair! You used to hate keeping it down,” he explained, giving me a shrug.