I Didn't Mean It

A/N: Just finished editing most of this story and I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for those you who had to read it the first time because IT WAS REALLY HORRIBLE. Hopefully my writing has improved a bit.

~o0o~

Gone.

That's what I'm going to be in a few seconds.

Extinct, nonexistent, over, past, down the drain, absent, removed, lost, done. Call it what you want, but it always means the same thing.

But, the real hard part was getting there. And even now, I still wasn't sure if I could get there. If I really wanted to.

I tugged my jacket closer to my body against the cold wind biting at my cheeks, rounding another corner through the mass of people wandering the streets, their umbrellas creating a dizzying array of colors down the pavement.

Their laughter and conversation traveled up and down the shop-lined sidewalk; soft music and the smell of good food in the air. Everyone seemed so happy here, little did they know that just a few feet away a girl was walking to her death.

My shoes threatened to slip on the rain-slicked sidewalk as I turned abruptly into a small, abandoned alleyway set between two tall buildings. I didn't give myself the time to ponder the bright blue British police box leaning conspicuously against the wall nearby. I barely had time to move out of the way as a man nearly came barreling into me.

"Excuse me," I said, my voice small and barely audible against the humming AC units set up nearby.

I didn't take time to get a good look at the man I had just bumped into, but little did I know he would be both my salvation and my end.

I kept my head down, shrinking down in my coat as I made my way through the alley, trying my best to ignore the rat-infested dumpsters lining the walls on either side of me. I coughed, my eyes stinging as I passed through a cloud of steam hanging low to the ground, its source a small vent in the wall.

I stopped finally when I had found what I was looking for.

A narrow, rickety ladder was built into a small building nearby, leading up to its roof. Closing my eyes briefly to steel myself, I gripped either side of the ladder with gloved hands and placed a foot on the first rung. I ignored the steady flow of tears that had begun to roll down my cheeks as I hoisted myself up the next one.

"Beautiful view up there," I nearly fell backwards at the sudden voice behind me.

I whipped my head around to see a man standing there calmly, wearing a bright red, slightly lopsided bow tie, matching suspenders, and a tweed jacket. For a moment I thought I'd lost my mind.

"But that isn't the reason you're climbing that ladder, is it?" The man continued. I vaguely noted his British accent.

"I-It's none of your business," I sniffled, trying to sound firm as I swiped the tears from my cheeks with the sleeve of my jacket.

I turned back to what I was doing, shakily testing the next rung before stepping onto it.

"What's your name?"

"I repeat my previous statement," I answered, not taking my eyes off the ladder.

"I'm the Doctor," He said cheerily, as if I had said nothing.

"Doctor...who?" I asked absently, sighing with relief as I neared the top.

A bright grin appeared on his face, "You have no idea how long it's been since someone's asked me that. It's actually kind of refreshing."