Twenty-Nine: The Last Time

Comenzar desde el principio

"So after all this mess, he doesn't even want to see you?" Rapunzel's voice started rising.

"He... does," I stammered. "B-But, I told him I had other plans."

"What do you mean other plans, Elsa Hale?"

I swallowed, "I was going to hang out with Robin."

She bounced from the bed, "You, what?!"

"Okay, listen, he just called me up earlier saying he missed me, and I missed him, too... so I thought it was a good idea for us to hang out, even if it's just today." I explained to her. She was not convinced.

"Elsa, you're risking your entire image hanging out with a celebrity, and now you still want to hang out with Robin, even though you have clearly told the world that you are dating the Jack Frost?" Rapunzel throws me one of my pillows. "Make up your damn mind!"

"I have made up my mind," I told her. "And I chose Jack."

"Then why is Robin still in the picture?"

"Should he be out?" I stood up from the desk to go to the window. It overlooked the beach and the many RVs parked near it. The set was there, though there seemed to be no people running around.

Before this summer, that beach had been just ours - Robin and mine. He'd help me down to look for shells to put in Anna's crown for the Last Splash, a yearly dance that the town would hold to celebrate the last day of summer. It was a sort of tradition for Anna to have a different tiara every year, just as Mom made for Vera Lynn and I. Since she's gone, we decided to be that tradition for Anna, and Robin was a part of it as much as we were.

"Robin's been my best friend for the longest time, Rapunzel." I sighed. "I can't simply just cut him off from my life. Not when he helped me cope with Mom's loss."

"But you have to understand that it isn't just you anymore," she said, approaching me and resting her hand on my shoulder. "Jack's in this mess, too. And as his fangirls... we don't want him to get in any kind of trouble, even more so if the trouble includes us."

She's right. The last thing I'd want for Jack is for him to have more articles about how he was so stupid to fall in love with me, when all I seem to have done is run around with some other guy. But I can't help but feel guilty for not choosing Robin. If this was a cliche fairytale, I would have chosen my best friend whom I have known my entire life, not my celebrity crush whom I have yet to know the real person behind the persona.

I was still so confused on what I should do, but though I cared about Robin, a bigger part of me wanted to take a chance on Jack.

"I'm so stupid, Punzie," I broke into sobs on her shoulder. "I just wanted to make everyone happy. I just don't want Robin to think that our friendship is over just because I have Jack now."

"That's silly." She laughed and stroked my hair. "Robin loves you, and he will always be there for you. But he has to know his limits. He has to know his place."

I nodded, and Rapunzel pulled me into a hug.

Not too long after, Anna came into the room, asking for me. She said Robin was waiting downstairs, and that he was going to take me somewhere.

"Want me to handle it?" Rapunzel asked.

I shook my head and squeezed her hand. "It's okay. I'll do this."

I left the two of them in my room, and made my way downstairs.

Here I go, breaking his heart again.

When will I ever stop hurting him?

I caught sight of his dark hair while I was halfway down the stairs. Then followed his blue eyes, and his warm smile, that are soon to be disappointed yet again.

"Elsa, hey," he greeted me, his smile growing even bigger. "How are you? I missed you so much."

He was about to open his arms to embrace me, but I quickly took a step back. My head stayed down, for I can't bear to look at his eyes fall apart again. I just can't.

"Listen, Robin," I began, folding my arms and attempting to make my voice sound stern and strong. I must be serious about this, though I am still unsure. "We can't... I can't... I can't do this."

"I get it, Elsa. I know you just want us to be friends, but I miss us." He reached for my hand, which I also retreated from him.

I kept quiet for a moment, the cold air separating the two of us growing colder and colder as my silence continued.

"You don't have to cut off your friendship with me just because of... just because of him," he started. "Why can't we just hang out like before?"

"Because it isn't just like before anymore, Robin," I suddenly snapped. "I uphold Jack's image now, too, and I have to protect him. Being seen with you won't do us good."

"Right, I forgot," he said, a bitter laugh escaping his lips. "I crossed my boundaries again, right? I know what we are, and I know what we're not."

"Robin, we'll figure this out."

"I don't know, Elsa." He shook his head. "My mind goes crazy whenever I think that you could choose him over me, when all I've ever done is be there for you. I just... It's unbearable to think that you'd pick someone you still have to uncover, when you already had me, a person you completely know inside out."

He dropped his head, and silence fell between us again. It was painful. I almost couldn't bear it.

But it had to be done. I had to choose.

"I'm sorry..." I said. "There's really nothing I could do."

When his face met me again, I could see that his eyes were turning glassy, and immediately, mine was starting to. Robin bit his lip, shut his eyes, and turned away for the door.

I stood there frozen, watching him walk out of the door, just as he has done before. I felt every step that he took away from me, and as much as I wanted to let him go, I still wanted him to look back at me one last time.

He didn't...

And perhaps that is the last time I will ever see him around.

a/n: hello, thank you for staying.

love,
julienne