Requested Scene Part 3

PhoebexJamesxDiego

Diego and I haven't said a word to eachother since James left. He's unzipping luggage while I fold clothes into the furniture of our guest room. My old room.

That fool- is not over you.

Ted's words echoe in my head. This is a disaster. We came back to the states on vacation, for Christ's sake. How did I possibly forget how problematic and dramatic my family can be? No, my parents and Ted have nothing to do with it. This time, at least. Its James. Why did he change his mind after all this time? He knows I'm in a relationship with Diego. What does he think we've been doing in Paris besides school?

"In a week or so, we're going to Nevada to see my parents." Diego rips me away from my thoughts. I turn back. "What?"

- "We're going to see my parents." He adds again without looking at me. "Um, when did we decide that?"

- "We didn't. I did." He pushes a luggage away and it falls to the floor. It makes a loud thump on the floor and it makes me jump. "Do you think I'm stupid? I saw what he was up to, Phoebe, that motherfucker hasn't given up! He wants you, he wants what's mine and I don't fucking share!" He shakes a menacing finger in my face and all I can do is watch him wide eyed. I've never seen him so... angry.

Diego searches my eyes and his face softens. "Fuck, I'm sorry." He sighs as his drags his hands over his face. I look down at my hands. "Baby..." He cups my face and tears  roll down my cheeks. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Pajarita." He pulls me to him and envelopes me in his arms. "Don't cry. I didn't mean to make you cry. I just got so pissed off. You're mine, Phoebe. You're all mine."

- "I thought we had settled that years ago..." I sniff and he wipes my cheeks with his thumbs. "We did. But this asshole suddenly barges in and thinks it's okay to challenge me to a pissing match, how am I suppose to react to that?"

- "I don't care about that! At the end of the day, I'm right here. With you! What's more important, your pissing match or me?" I push him away and hug myself. "I wouldn't have to worry about it if maybe you'd put a little bit of effort in staying well away from him!"

- "So now you don't trust me!"

- "I'd trust you more if you'd do what I told you to do!"

- "You have no right to order me around, I'm my own person, I know right from wrong, I don't need you yapping at me on how to act around anyone just because you're insecure!"

- "It shouldn't even be a discussion if you cared the least bit!"

- "I do care!"

- "Hardly!"

- "You know what? Let me know when your testosterone levels have simmered down, I can't deal with you right now!" I drop everything and storm out of the room. "Fine!" I hear him from far away. I stomp downstairs and my first instinct is to go where I know I'd calm down.

The music room.

I push the doors open and shut them behind me. I wipe the moisture off my face and sit in front the old piano. I haven't played it in years. I open the lid and it makes a quiet creak. The keys are a bit dusty, and I sweep it off with my fingers.

I play an old piece by Brian Crain. I start stroking the keys and stepping on the pedal, and as soon as I do, I feel the music flow about and around, surrounding me in a thick forcefield of sound waves.

Diego and I had our first fight. Our real first fight. Over none other than James! He's part of my family, what does he expect me to do? Does he not trust me? Have I not proven myself loyal after 3 years living as a couple in France? And James. What's gone into him all of a sudden? He was supposed to get married. He was happy! Why did he change his mind? He was over me. We were done in good terms. I cannot believe I'm going through this.

the piece comes to an end and I sigh as I come back to reality. What do I do? I've only been back for a day and I'm already yearning to go back to Paris.

I think for a second.

Should I do it? Is it even a good idea?

Fuck it.

I pull out my phone.

James. I need to see you. Sent 7:43pm

I wait. It doesn't take ten seconds for my phone to ping.

I'm on my way. Sent. 7:43pm