Chapter 4: Technically not cousins

"Please, continue. Don't stop on my behalf." He says stuffing his hands into his pockets and strolling his way towards me. I quickly turn back to the keys, gazing at them.

Why is Ted always right!?

I begin to play Bagatelle in A minor, one of the first pieces I mastered at a very young age. I start slowly, and I close my eyes. The eerie commencement of the song is familiar to me even after so long. Why I chose this song, I do not know. Any song would do to distract me from the fact that James was now sitting next to me, watching every finger stroke I made. Why am I so fidgety by his presence all of a sudden? Could it be that I'm nervous about his take on the situation? Will he be upset with me?

I finish the song, and I exhale. James exhales with me. "Been awhile since I've heard that one."

- "Yeah." I half smile. It's quiet between us. He has his elbows rested over the piano, and my hands are entwined together on my lap, my legs crossed, and swinging about, since I'm too short to touch the floor.

Dad plays the piano too, so I don't change the stool's height.

James blows air out of his cheeks. He opens his mouth to speak, but my bad timing gets the best of us. "You don't have to come." I blurt out. He turns to me, confused. "I'm always having performances. And everyone always comes to them. Even you. And it's not fair that there's a possibility that my recital might overshadow your big day. So," I shrug. "I don't want you to come. I don't want anyone to come."

James blinks underneath his glasses, taken aback by my comment. "I just wish there was a way for me to see you." I sigh and play Twinkle-Twinkle, little Star with my index finger. It's quiet, minus the notes I'm stroking with a sole finger, however, when I'm about to hit the last note of the nursery song, James grasps my hand. I turn my gaze to him. He's wearing a soft smile. "I'm coming. Whether you approve of it or not." I frown. "How? They're happening at the same time."

- "They're happening on the same day. No one mentioned a time."

- "I want to go see you. But I can't."

- "Doesn't mean I can't see you."

- "But it's not fair!" I take my hand back and stomp towards the couch. "I don't care if you go see me! You always go see me! I want to see you! On your special day! I want to see you wearing your cap and your gown, and I want to hear your speech, and I want to clap so loud for you, just like you have done for me."

James blows his fallen locks off of his face in frustration and stands. I turn to look at him. Wait, where is he going? He whistles a happy tune and exits the music room. "Are you kidding me? I'm kind of upset over here! ...Are you just going to leave!? Jerk!" I huff and cross my arms.

"Whatever. I'm being selfish anyway." I grumble to myself. I sigh louder and stare at the chandelier above me.

"Ahem," I hear James. "First and foremost, I am not going to start with today is the first day of our lives, because everyone knows that. But I will tell you, my fellow graduates, that today is the day we start building our own empires." I sit up and turn to the entrance.

I gasp and my hands go flying to my mouth.

James is wearing a black gown and his square cap. His chin is high up, and he recites what I believe wholeheartedly, is his Valedictorian speech.

I'm wearing a face-splitting grin as James exaggeratedly rambles on, with one fist plastered on his chest and the other behind him. He looks so handsome and confident, He occasionally tosses his head back dramatically and his cap tips over, making me laugh.

Some dramatic acting later, he finally finishes.

"Good luck, and Carpe Diem." He takes off his cap, nonchalantly flings it to me, and I clumsily catch it. "Bravo!" I give him a standing ovation. He bows, dramatic yet again, and throws in a curtsy for my amusement. Once the Duke of Dorks is done, I stride to him and hug him tightly around his neck, his cologne invading my sense of smell.

"Oh, Jamie." I mumble into his chest. "That was amazing." He chuckles and holds me at arm's length. "It's the least I can do. I think it's unfair that both events are taking place on Friday, too, but it's not your fault. It's nobody's." He lets go of me and takes his gown off. "Gotta put this away quickly before your brother sees it," he mumbles as he folds it neatly. I reach for his cap and hand it to him, still wearing an idiotic grin.

James turns to me again and I hug him once more. "You liked it?"

- "I loved it, Jamie." I squeeze my cheek against his chest. "I'm glad. I don't want you to feel bad anymore, okay? Focus on your recital, and do your very best." I look up to him, my head completely tilted upwards. "Okay." I smile.

A throat is cleared very exaggeratedly and James practically pushes me away.

"H-hey, dude." James scratches his head. "Sup." Ted eyes James. He has one hand in his pocket and the other holding his phone. They exchange some glances and I keep glancing at them both before the silence breaks.

"I'm heading to GEH now, baby doll." Ted turns to me and I walk to him. "Okay. Be good at work. And quit giving Dad a hard time. So he's somewhat forgetful." I hug Ted and he snorts. "Fine. I'll give Drew Barrymore a break." James snickers. "You leaving too, bro?" Ted turns to James and he nods.

"Bye, Jamie." I grin at him and he glances at his cap and gown hidden under a pillow. I slightly nod. He heads for the door and disappears around the corner. Ted raises a brow at me, then turns to James, who's pacing down the hallway, then back to me. "Hmm." He squints and finally disappears.

I exhale and toss myself on the sofa. I'm still wearing a smile on my face, and I turn to the pillow, the one hiding James's stuff. I pull the cap out from under it and settle it on my head. The tassel is on the right side, and I move it to the left.

I think I'm going to go practice now. After all, I have to do my very best.

I race to my room and place the cap and gown on my bed, then race back down to the dance hall.

Later that day, James returned to pick his things up. It would've been bad if Ted were to see his cap and gown too early.

These past weeks, I've been practicing my heart out. This recital has to come out perfect. I can't let anyone down. Occasionally, Ted would watch me practice, but I'd never show him the choreography dedicated to him. It's a surprise. Even though I have kept myself busy with the recital, I've still been thinking long and hard about Margo. There would be times I would hint at Ted to spill the beans, but he never seems to understand.

I need to meet her. And I think I know how to make it happen. Mom's having a Publisher's Bash less than a month. She's shipping the invitations in a week or two. And I happen to know Miss Margo's address.

***

Liked the chapter? Leave a ☆!

Don't forget to check out my original work, "Wet Dream Boy" and "I've Seen Death"! I'd appreciate the support!

HSM. 💋