Chapter 32: Grey Snaps: A sequel

Oh, come on.

I squint and he emerges from the shadows like some kind of god damned demon. His hands are stuffed in his pockets and he has a suit on, but his jacket is off. "Jesus Christ, Ted! You scared me!"

- "If you would've been the slightest scared, you would've thought twice before attempting to sneak out of the house."

-"What are you doing here?" I say, clearly annoyed. "You need a ride, don't you?"

- "Oh. and you expect me to believe that that's why you're all of a sudden here. You're spying on me." I cross my arms and he frowns. "I'm not spying."

- "Okay, fine. You're stalking me." He tilts his head and sighs. "Want a ride or not?" He pulls his keys and presses a button. I hear his Porsche boop in the distance. I glare at him, and he gazes back, and even though this isn't a staring contest, he wins. "Fine. Take me home." I walk towards his car, my heels clicking against the concrete and I feel him walking closely behind me. "That dress is kind of revealing, don't you think?" I hear him say and I roll my eyes.

- "That's kind of none of your business, don't you think?"

- "Phoebe,"

- "What? It isn't."

- "That little attitude of yours seriously needs to stop."

- "Oh, I'm sorry. You're right. It's come to my attention that I've become somewhat of a nuisance."

He says nothing. Yeah. I thought so.

He opens my door and I slide right in, removing Diego's jacket. It smells like him. I extend it over my lap and I buckle in. Ted steps into the car and he drives off. The car ride is quiet. I'm watching the city go by as we drive down the freeway and I'm reliving our dance. It was so much fun. But like every good thing that's happened to me, it didn't last.

"So." Ted interrupts the comfortable silence. "Did you have fun?" Is he for real? "Sure," I say nonchalantly. "That's good. Is there... a reason why you left without Diego?"

- "Oh, please. As if you didn't see." I turn to him. "See what?" He says, and it sounds genuine. Well, he is a good liar. "Diego was about to kiss me." I watch him and notice his eye twitches. "Oh. Is that so."

- "Yes. But I didn't let him." I add and I hear Ted quietly sigh. "I should've, though. I didn't kiss him because I had someone else in my mind. But they don't care. Why should I?"

- "No. It's good that you didn't. It wouldn't have been fair to Diego to use him like that. It would mean lying to yourself. And hurting James."

I jerk my head to him and he glances at me before facing forward again. "You know?"

- "Yes, I know." I frown. "Well, then you also know what he did to me." I cross my arms. "He hurt me first."

- "He has his reasons, Phoebe," he whispers, and suddenly, Ted and Dad's conversation clicks. His brother escaped from prison. He could be anywhere... could it be that James was only trying to protect me? My heart sinks. James...

"The point is, you have feelings for James. Not for Diego. These kinds of things must be done out of love."

I quickly forget about James.

"Love?" I scoff at Ted. "What the Hell do you know about love? You hit your girlfriend. Oh, I'm sorry, not-girlfriend."

- "Look. About that day, Phoebe. I know you don't understand anything you saw. I don't expect you to."

- "I know what I saw. it was BDSM, right? You're some sort of dominant or master or some weird crap like that, and your not-girlfriend is your slave. It's weird and violent role play before sex. I looked it up."