Chapter 5: Deja Vu

Riiiiing ... Riiiiing ... Riiiiing ...

I moan quietly and stretch, tapping repeatedly on my alarm clock. "Shhh," I hush sleepily. "I heard ya." After I get my clock to shut up, I lazily sit up and stretch, my arms folding behind my head. Rays of the rising sun sneak through the small opening of the green curtains and greet my barely opened eyes.

This is it. Today's the day. James is graduating and I'm performing.

I exhale, stand up and head to the bathroom. I quickly strip and step into the shower. "Holy...!" I jump when the biting cold water hits me, however, I need to wake up and hurry.

Despite it being six o'clock.

The water gets warmer too late as I rinse and shut it off. I toss on a towel around me and wrap another on my head. "Phoebe, dear! Your mother told me to wake you up!" I hear Gail knock. I step out of the bathroom and head for the door. "Morning, Gail." I peak through the door slightly ajar.

"Oh! Up already! Okay, morning bird, get dressed." Gail smiles as she hands my red mug and I smile back. "Yes, ma'am!" I take it before closing the door.

I sip my tea carefully and smack my lips. "Mmm! Green with honey." I chide and place my mug down to begin dressing up.

I throw on some tights, a tank top, and flats, and I text Jacobo to meet me downstairs. I reach for my sweater and head out the door.

I look down the railing and see Jacobo standing stiffly, waiting for me. "Morning!" I call out and race downstairs. "Good morning, Miss Phoebe." He nods and opens the door, however, he suddenly places his arm in front of me and I crash into it. "Won't you eat breakfast?" He raises a brow and I frown. "I'll eat later, Jacobo. We have to hurry."

- "You don't have to be there till seven thirty."

- "Relax, Jacob. I'll be fine." I roll my eyes and he glares. He hates being called that. I push his arm away and head for the Audi. He follows along without a word and opens the door for me and I slide in. I buckle up and check my phone. There's a message from Terrance.

Good morning, May. I hope your sleep was lovely. When are you arriving? Sent: 6:29

My sleep was fine, thank you. :) I should be showing up in fifteen minutes, tops. Sent: 6:34

Do hurry. We must start practicing, you and I. Sent: 6:34

Jacobo starts the car and heads down the everlasting driveway. My heart starts beating and I become nervous. All of a sudden, my stomach growls. I bite my lip and glance at Jacobo. He didn't hear the whale call. I sigh. He'd get sassy with me. And knowing Jacobo, his attitude is worse than mine, and I'm the teenager.

I plug in my earphones and begin listening to my Billy Joel playlist. I inherited this music genre from Dad. He doesn't show it, but he's such a romantic. No wonder Mom and Dad fell in love. They're both into romance.

When I'm not looking, Jacobo takes a detour from the Avenue and pulls into a Winchell's drive-through. "Uh, Jacobo?"

The machine asks for his order and he disregards me. "Eggs Benedict with extra Hollandaise sauce. And a caramel cappuccino."

- "Anything else?"

- "Coffee. Dark. That will be it." Jacobo drives off to the first window. "Jacobo, I said-" He holds his hand up and I stay quiet.

A woman greets him in the window. "That'll be Twenty-five eighty-nine, sir." He pulls out his wallet and gives her a twenty and a ten. "Jacobo, we're going to be-" he holds his hand up and I grunt in frustration. Is he serious?