Chapter 20: Catching Feelings

"How about you tell me what's wrong, babe?" The word rolled off my tongue sardonically. "There must be something seriously wrong with me if I can't even keep my fake boyfriend happy for a month."

Ray merely stared at me, confusion evident on his face. "I'm lost. What did I do?"

"I'll tell you what you didn't do." I snapped. "Stay faithful."

His eyebrow shot up. "Are you accusing me of cheating on you?" I crossed my arms over my chest. Once the words left his mouth I realized how ridiculous it sounded. My fake boyfriend cheated on me during our fake relationship... Yeah, I'm stupid. But I wasn't backing off. For some reason, the anger and jealousy was still bubbling inside of me.

"You made me look stupid." I muttered, looking at the floor.

"I still have no idea what you're talking about." Ray reminded me, sounding slightly impatient. I held up his phone.

"I'm talking about this." I tossed it to him and he swiftly caught it before it could hit the floor and shatter into pieces.

I watched him as he read the text message. His eyebrows curved inward. "What the hell...." He mumbled, more to himself then to me. He looked up to stare at me. As if he was waiting for me to say something. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. I was done talking. It was his turn to explain.

"I don't know Why she sent me this. We never talk to each other like this.." He said.

"Oh really?" I asked, not buying his lie. "Because she seemed pretty comfortable calling you babe. Why don't you go hang out with her without me... just like old times." My words were coming out in such a bitchy tone, I was actually sort of proud...

"Zonnique, you're being ridiculous." He rolled his eyes, clearly getting annoyed with me.

"No I'm not." I shot back.

"You have no right to be mad at me!" He defended. "She's the one who texted me. Okay? Besides, we aren't really dating."

"The world thinks our relationship is real. Troian thinks it's real." I reminded him. "Do you realize how stupid this makes me look? Trust me Ray. I've had enough with guys making me look stupid."

"Don't even bring that asshole up." He snapped, referring to Zoey. "I promised that I would never treat you the way he did." I kept my mouth shut. Ray was nothing like Zoey. I knew that... I was just so mad. The whole situation with Zoey screwed me up. I'm damaged and now I'm taking it out on Ray. "I've never given you a reason to compare me to Zoey." He looked frustrated. "Troian is the one who sent me this weird text. If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't planning on replying to it." That did make me feel a little better but I wasn't going to admit to it. "Why are you getting so worked up about this?" He frowned.

"I just don't want Troian thinking my boyfriend is going around and flirting with other girls. That makes me look stupid." I paused. "Can you understand that?"

"I don't flirt with any girls." He replied. "Especially Troian. Why would you even think that?" I don't know why he's lying about his feelings for Troian. I know he has a crush on her. Why doesn't he want to tell me? I thought I was his best friend.... Part of me was hurt and the other half was jealous. I attempted to swat the jealous feeling away.

"I saw the conversation you were having with Jacob on the plane. I know you're crushing on someone. And I know that someone is Troian." I exhaled loudly. "When I saw that text, I thought maybe you were going behind my back to talk to her. I just don't get why you wouldnt tell me about your feelings for her. I thought we were best friends."