Chapter 18: Oh California

I sat on the floor in the middle of Ray's legs, his arms wrapped securely around my stomach as we listened to his dad tell a hilarious story about Ray when he was little. The kids were running all around the place. I laughed loudly as he explained how Ray fell into pool water when he was little cause somebody pushed him and how he was too scared to swim. I managed to lean my head back onto his shoulder and look at him through my eyelashes. He grinned down at me. Seeing how happy everyone was, definitely proved that this trip was worth it. Not only Ray had a permanent grin plastered on his face, but my grandpa did too. And that's all that mattered.

"You're such a klutz." I giggled, referring to the story of how he fell in the pool.

"I was 7!" Ray defended. I laughed harder and shook my head lightly.

"What are you kids planning on doing today?" Keisha asked, once the laughter from the story died down.

Ray instantly perked up at this question. "I was thinking I could show you around Inglewood." He looked down at me. "I could show you my old school, where I used to krump, EVERYTHING." He grinned. He had a sparkle in his eye and I could tell he was really excited to show me these places.

"You're cute when you're excited." It slipped out like word vomit and I instantly regretted saying it out loud. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks.

Ray looked thoroughly amused. "You're always cute." My face got even hotter, if that was even possible, and I stood up.

"I'm gonna... " I cleared my throat. "go get dressed." Ray nodded, that amused twinkle still evident in his brown eyes and I mentally slapped myself for getting so flustered.

-----------------------

I had slipped on some some blue jeans shorts, a plaid long sleeve shirt wrapped around it, a blue polka dot shirt that showed my stomach, a jean jacket, a blue bandanna and my custom made blue timbs.  My outfit was extremely blue. My hair flat ironned straight down and my make up was done. I thought I looked pretty decent. Ray casually walked in and took a seat on the bed.

"You know, you could have knocked." I said. "What if I had been changing?"

He rolled his eyes, a playful smile on his lips. "That wouldn't have been a bad thing." I let my mouth hang open before throwing a shoe in his direction.

He dodged it and laughed.

"I'm kidding Nique." He smiled and I couldn't help but smile back. His smile was one of the things I loved most about Ray. It could light up an entire room and over the past week, I depended on it a lot.

"Ray." I murmured.

"Hm?" He replied, looking at his phone.

"Thank you again." I sighed. "I know I say it all the time but seriously... I don't think I could ever thank you enough for how much you've helped me these past few days."

He looked up at me, his bright brown eyes glowing with sincerity. "Nique, you don't have to thank me. How many times have I told you that making you happy, makes me happy? If you think about it, I'm actually being selfish. I'm using you for my own happiness." He smiled a teasing smile to lighten the mood. I grinned back as he stood up to hug me. I wrapped my arms around his torso and returned the hug. He kissed the top of my head before pulling away and lacing in fingers through mine. "Come on, let's get going." The only kisses  Ray would give me in private were kisses on my forehead, cheek, pretty much anywhere on my face except my lips. We never really kissed unless we had too. I made it clear that I didn't want to get involved in another 'Friends with Benefits' relationship and he made it clear that he wasn't going to do that too me. He saw first hand what that unhealthy relationship with Zoey did too me. He knew I was currently broken. But now, as my best friend, he made sure I was aware that he would always be here to protect me. It felt nice to know that he cared.