15: The Cat Returns (Need to fix)

2

Darting to the first house over, she dashes the length of it, fearing that if she slows her pace, they will catch her. She skids to a halt when she hears footsteps coming toward her. Out of breath and panting for air, she freezes; every muscle in her body tenses and she's ready to spring into action.

A drop of sweat forms at the base of her neck and slides down her back, making her shiver in the tropical heat.

Kariss listens for the familiar sound of heavy boots crunching over gravel, but they never come. Looking up to the clear night sky, she prays for her friend, and she releases a shaking breath as tears wet her cheeks.

You were supposed to come with me, Cho. Not go out in a hail of bullets! She wipes away tears and tries to concentrate on the task at hand, which is her own survival at this point. The sad reality is that they only need one person to get off the island.

Taking a deep breath, she risks her head being blown off as she leans around the corner to see if the coast is clear. To her surprise no bullets fly her way.

The alley is completely empty except for a stray cat walking towards her, its tail flicking back and forth until it spots her staring at it. The cat's ears fold back and its little, orange, body fluffs up to imitate something more threatening before letting loose a primal hiss.

Scat! It jumps at her word, and she senses its confusion before it runs back the way it came.

She wastes no more time and sprints a short distance to the second house. Stopping again at the far corner, she waits, listening for any sign of life in the alley. The back of her tank top is damp against her skin and her heart races with adrenaline.

She slowly counts to three then risks another look around the corner and once again, the alley is free of gun wielding guards, but the cat is back. It sits in the middle of the alley, patiently watching her as its golden eyes flash in the dim light then narrow into slits.

You're no cat.

The cat seems to smile up at her in response.

Who are you? She questions. And what do you want from me?

The cat sits still, switching its tail to and fro before giving her an answer. They're going to get you; you know this as truth, so why run?

YOU! Her thought sends the cat into the air, making it land on its paws. Taking on the form of a dirty alley cat, are you?

It sinks low to the ground, resting on its paws and hisses up at her. I'm going to enjoy watching you die.

She moves to the third house, ignoring the dirty animal, when a thought seeps into her mind. Could this be a setup?

Surely there would be more guards looking for her, right? Maybe they're keeping it quiet, afraid of a revolution after Gordon's unnecessary execution.

Her foot lands on a shard of glass, sinking into her heel. She falls against the house in excruciating pain, clutching her foot, but is unable to cry out. With a shaky hand, she pulls it free to inspect her wound. It's deep with clean edges, which is good. Blood courses down her foot, dripping from her toes to form a small dark pool beneath her.

It's such a pity you've been hurt so soon in your... The cat pauses, flicking its tail. Escape is it? That's what this is, right?

Leave me be you fool! She flings the glass at the cat's head, hitting it square in the face and slicing its left eye open. The animal howls in pain, running off. Go nurse your own wounds, Gideon.

She notices the remains of a shattered beer bottle scattered out in front of her path. The shards twinkle like lethal stars under the clear night sky.

A guard appears from the alley two houses down, and she freezes, waiting for him to turn her way and see her, but luck is on her side. He's oblivious and is laughing at something going on in the alley in front of him.

"Put that alley cat out of commission!" He shouts but she hears no mercy kill following his order. Instead it continues its yowls of pain, hoping they will help it, but the guards are cruel and help no one but their own.

Gunfire erupts from across the compound and rapid-fire echo up into the night. Houses all around her slowly come to life as the inhabitants wake to see what's going on and find that the rumors are true; someone is brave enough to try to leave the island.  

Words: 807