Ch. VII) Moving On~ The End is Nearing

Two Months Later…

The rendezvous as it was later revealed to be went perfectly. Two months later, after admitting our full stories to Arthur and Kiku, Leila and I were sailing on  the same ship. I couldn’t tell her who I was, or even that I was girl. I couldn’t tell her she could speak to me about all her problems and I’d understand. During the first two months we were together, Leila seemed lonelier and more depressed by the day. Each time I wasn’t running errands for Arthur, I could come down to her cabin and hear her sobbing. When I questioned her, she simply told me she was missing a friend. Now as two months end, and another gruesome month begins, I admit to you, I had something I wanted to tell her…I had a strange dream. A dream that scared me more than Arthur ever could.

Meghan was in the middle of a long dead field. Charred plants bent over into the grass and smoking emanated from the ground, contaminating her lungs. It was though, someone had burnt it. Upon closer examination, Meghan’s eyes widened as she spotted burnt pieces of wood and mounts of jewels scattered to the side. She bent down and reached to lift one of the simmering objects when suddenly a hand landed on her shoulder, slowly working its way up to her hair. She froze, feeling someone lean into her hair and smile.

“Ashes to ashes.  This was your wish, wasn’t it, my dear?” That familiar voice whispered in her ear, voiced laced with amusement as its owner spun Meghan around to face him. Arthur was indeed smiling and he gestured to the dead field. Now, a  new sight filled Meghan’s gaze. It was that of a fallen civilization. Meghan gasped, and Arthur held her steadily so she wouldn’t fall. “Steady, dear. Isn’t it a beautiful sight? This is what you asked me for.”

Meghan glanced at Arthur out of the corner of her eye. “This isn’t what I wanted-“

“Then what did you want, love? You came to me, offering information against my enemy. I come simply to kill him, and you give me a greater gift. An empire, field to the brim with treasure. My crew had a field-day! And look! The jewels are still here? Absolutely gorgeous.” Arthur interrupted, admiring his crew’s handy-work.

Meghan hugged herself as Arthur pulled her into his arms. He kissed her cheek. “No more troubles, love. And of course, now you can stay with me. Isn’t that what you wanted as well?”

Meghan’s cheeks heated with embarrassment and shame. Her heartbeat slowed as she gazed into Arthur eyes. “Yes…” she said wearily, lips quivering. “T-That’s what I wanted. But not like this…” Arthur patted her head and Meghan couldn’t move. She felt as he slowly disappeared, leaving her to her misery. “When you’re ready, Meghan.”

A violent wind blew through the field, and the scenery changed abruptly. Now, Meghan could see the princess sobbing over the ashes of her empire. Maria was shaking uncontrollably.  Meghan screamed for Maria to move, but the princess wouldn’t listen. Antonio stood behind her, axe raised and eyes darkened with malicious intent. Maria let the tears flow without wiping them, and she managed only a small smile as Antonio swung the axe over her…

The scene changed again. A young woman with short black hair leaned over the body of two priests, clutching their heads and sobbing. Meghan didn’t know whom she was…but her pain was so strong, Meghan’s heart sunk. Behind the sobbing girl, Leila stood helplessly, with Kiku’s hand on her back. Gently, Kiku tugged her away.

Meghan didn’t know what to do, and she clenched her fist absent-mindedly. She bit her lip….useless….

Meghan rested against the ship’s deck and curled in a  ball, trying to ignore the freezing tears of the sky that landed on her skin. The door o the captain’s cabin slowly creaked open, and Arthur’s head was the first to peer out. He spotted Meghan quickly and came and stood next to her, tapping her sitting form with his boot. “Hey…get up! What’s got you so upset?” he demanded, eyes narrowed. Meghan tried burying her head in her arms, but Arthur grabbed her chin and forced her to look into his eyes.