Mate...

A/N: Comment & Vote!

"You feel it too, don't you?" He asked, suddenly seemingly bashful.

He even toyed with hands nervously a bit, as if I had some sort of power here. I guess I sort of do? I could Reject him. But the thought itself was like a punch to the gut. A heart wrenching feeling of unbearable loss and loneliness. I cringed. No. I couldn't live with that feeling. "I don't even know you." I finally whispered.

"I know. And I don't know you either. But I want to know everything about you. Ask me anything and I'll answer honestly."

I bit me lip. "Why won't you save Charlie?"

"Who?"

"My friend at the Camp," I clarified.

He faltered a bit. "Because I don't have any real jurisdiction in the Camp and...the leader there, Raven... I am afraid of him."

It was as if the floor had dropped out from under me. To admit fear so openly... To show such obvious weakness to a stranger... I was touched, I say the least. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's my own cowardice. No one ever messed with me a pup so I missed out on the lessons in fighting and defense. I'm sorry that your mate is so pathetic." He sounded so disgusted himself that I just had to make him feel better.

"You're not pathetic. You have more strength than you think. And physical ability doesn't matter as much as rank--even here. You said so yourself."

"They answer to Arrow," he corrected. "I'm just his son."

"You're not just his son, you are his son." I replied. Was I giving him a pep-talk? "That means you deserve the same amount of respect."

"I...am his son," he muttered seeming torn. "But you heard Timor. Even he doesn't respect me and he's the one of the lowest ranked here."

"He listens to you," I argued. "Yeah he argues a bit but he always listens doesn't he?"

"Eventually," Marc reluctantly agreed.

"That's all that's important now! We can worry about the backtalk later," I added with a small smile.

"We?" He echoed hopefully. "Oh wow. I know this doesn't look like much but I live in back here and it could use some cleaning but it can be really nice. We could make a great him here."

I glanced around at the dusty, dark corners of the room. "One thing at a time," I replied carefully before I was overcome by a coughing attack that left me breathless and light headed.

"Are you alright? I'll get you your vaccine right now."

He got up and I marveled at his height. "Wait. Charlie first."

"No. I need to know you're well first."

"I need to know my friend is safe!" I argued.

"You will. I'll bring you to the Medic in the Camp. Right after he vaccinates you we'll go and see about your friend. Alright?"

I began to cough and nodded regretfully. I needed to be at my best for this.

***

It had grown even colder as we started down the street.

I was able to avoid the puddles while I looked around. The village was a bit less rundown the further we walked. In fact somewhat newer buildings seemed to have sprouted up the further we got from the Town Hall. "So Red sent you here all alone huh?"

"Maybe he was hoping we'd get picked out, one by one." I shuddered at the fact it quite possibly could be true.

"No. Despite everything he knows the power he still has here." Marc said almost fondly. "No one would touch something that belongs to him."

"And Charlie?"

"Who?"

I was growing a bit annoyed. "My friend at the Camp."

"Oh. Well I don't know what's going on with that. It's possible he was gifted to Red by Arrow but if that's the case, there no way in Hell he'd get him back."

"Why!" I asked, alarmed.

"They had a falling out. Arrow 'washed his hands of him'." Marc shrugged. "Here's the Medic's office."

This building was actually pretty nice outside. And inside looked nothing like the rest of the Camp. It was white and clean. The man inside had a seedy air to him however. He gave me the creeps. "What seems to be ailing you?" He asked in a faux childish voice.

"Cut the shit Duke." Marc snapped. "He has the Cough."

Duke gave Marc a grumpy look but went to a counter and produced a syringe. He drew clear liquid from a vial with a precision that made me confident in his medical ability. "Which arm do you...write...with?"

Me? Write? "Right?"

"Give me your left then."

His hands were cold as he held my arm. He moved fast however, emptying the needle into my arm and then withdrawing and tossing the needle. "That'll be eight hundred dollars."

My eyes bugged and Marc snarled. "Look Marc--this shit's expensive. I'm not giving it out for free."

Marc glanced at me, as if asking for permission to use his rank. I nodded slightly and Marc stood tall. "I'm next in line as Alpha here, Duke. You'll give me what I want, when I asked for it. Or I'll rip your goddamn heart of your chest and shove it down your throat. Understood?"

Duke visibly gulped and nodded his head. "Y-yes Marc. Is there anyone...else?"

"Go find Timor. He'll take you to the other. And so help me if I find out you put anything in him other than the needle, you're going to wish your Pack had kept you."

"I get it Marc! Jesus," Duke muttered.

Marc placed a hand on my back and led me out. We got a few yards away when he spoke. "I can't believe that worked."

"Have a little faith. You're far from helpless you know."

"I guess I am. You know, I don't think you ever told me your name?"

"Mason," I said hesitantly. "My name is Mason."

"Mason and Marc. A match made in heaven," he teased. "I am so happy to have found you."

"Me too," I lied.

The truth? My stomach was still tied up in disappointment. I hadn't imagined anything like this happening to me. And yet, it was still another letdown. I got a coward in a pack of exiles and monsters.

Another shitty hand for Mason.

But, maybe I could use this to save my friends.

QOTC: Thoughts?

Goal: 10 comments