The Journey Part 1

A/N: Comment & Vote!

Nights came and went.

Charlie and I continued to not speak. However he and Will seemed to be getting along. Red was making more money than usual during an off-season and the bids were growing for our big 'Christmas-Trip'. However, Warrior's from the neighboring region were starting to come in. Red didn't like this but refused to turn down the extra cash.

I knew it wouldn't be long until something happened.

And it did. One chilly November Thursday afternoon.

As I came shuffling down the steps feeling more like shit than usual, it happened.

I coughed.

I cleared my throat, brow furrowing. There this sense of thickness in my lungs. But it felt unusual. I approached the kitchen, thinking a hot drink would help but I found myself coughing again.

"Son of a Bitch!"

I flinched, knowing exactly why Red was upset. It was the Cough. One of those new men had brought the Cough into the house. Charlie, drawn by the raised voices came in. "What?" he asked before letting out a harsh cough. "Fuck. You don't think it's--"

"I know what it fucking is, you stupid bitch."

He stood, throwing his fork down hard enough to crack the plate on the table. I flinched at the noise and Charlie and I made eye contact warily. "Son of bitch. Get everyone down here now. Cam! Goddamn it--where were you?"

Cam rounded the corner instantly. He held up a laundry basket with a look of fear on his face. "You can never do what I tell you do, can you?"

He grabbed Cam, causing the laundry basket to fall. Clean clothes fell to the floor. Red slapped him hard. "You little whore--clean it up!"

With silent tears he made quick work of his task, putting it aside. He apologized profusely but was cut off by a sneer. "Save it. Make a list of everyone with the Cough."

"The cough? " he echoed, fear shining in his eyes.

"That's what I said, wasn't it? Ask everyone."

He hurried to do after getting a nod from me and a cough from Charlie. Red paced the floor, spitting out swears under his breath. "When did it start?" He barked.

"Oh, uhm, today-this morning," I stammered.

Red groaned. "Great. Fucking perfect. Where the hell's Cam? How long does it take to write out a fucking list?"

Cam appeared, panting, a few minutes later. "Just Zach," Cam said.

"This needs to be taken care of today. Remember Crimson Canyon? Go there."

"That's a day's walk!" Protested Charlie. "You can't be serious."

"I'm perfectly fucking serious. Get your shoes and coats, grab Zach, and go. I'll call and let them know you're headed over."

I obediently headed into the lounge where Zach was currently hacking away. "Come on." I said with a tight smile. "We have to go."

"Go?" Echoed Zach. "Where? Why?"

"To a pack to get medicine, I assume. Red's not in a good mood--we should go as soon as possible."

Zach nodded his head after a long moment. "O-okay." He stopped to cough and waved me off.

***

It was chilly out.

Fall was coming to an end and winter was right around the corner. I only hoped we could beat the snow on this wretched trip Red had given us. "Do you know where we're going?" Zach asked worriedly.

"Kind of." I replied trying to catch Charlie's eye.

He was obviously still upset, stubbornly avoiding catching my eye as he coughed into his fist.

We had quite the journey ahead,

A/N 2.0: A mini update to get back into it 😄