Confrontation

I turned and saw Diablo looking at me. His eyes showed wonder instead of anger. This still did not settle my fear. Remembering my wings I took off at full gallop, releasing them as I leapt into the sky. I saw Diablo running right behind me, then, he was still behind me, even when I was off the ground. He landed and I caught a glimpse of pure white wings laying across his broad back. I noticed black feathers falling from my wings. Where the old feathers were I noticed shiny golden feathers now tipped my wings. I looked down and saw Diablo backing slowly away from me as I landed in the foal field. I saw a crowd of foals as they stared at me. Queen pushed through the crowd and following her were what I guessed were Diablo's offspring since the colt was one of them. They all had white wings like Diablo, all except Queen, who had large wings that blended of many colors, but stayed in a rainbow form. I felt an itch on my wings and saw my feathers slowly turning golden.

            "A golden one! You never told me that!" Queen scolded me harshly.

            " What is so great about being a 'golden one?' What are you guys then?" I asked.

            "You are from the original Pegasus family. The immortals! I am a Rainbow Pegasus from the Rainbow herd and you must be from the Golden herd. Diablo is the father of the entire Snowflake herd. All his children inherit the wings given to him by his mother, Snowflake."

            "Snowflake?"

            "She was a Golden One, but she became immortal after Stardust gave her the Gift. She left and met Stargazer and they had Diablo. Snowflake and Stargazer never had any more offspring since Stargazer was killed by a mortal horse before Diablo was born."

            "So, my sister is Diablo's mother and so that makes Diablo my nephew?"

            "What! You're Diablo's... Uncle! Ha! Go tell him that!" Queen laughed at the thought of that.

            "I'd rather not..." I said, the awkward silence that followed was bone chilling.

              The strange thought of me being an Uncle was enough to make me shudder. I looked at Diablo. He had a look of sheer terror on his face. What was making him cringe? Was it me? What do Golden Ones do? All these thoughts ran through my head when I saw Monty leading a filly into my field. When she was released, he looked at me, looked at her, and smiled. Then, after nodding my way, he walked off, head bowed and shaking with some sort of humor. Seeing this I walked boldly over to the filly.

            "Hello. My name is King." I boldly addressed myself.

            "Nice to meet you, I am Emmy." Her voice was soft and light. I enjoyed hearing her speak.

            "You are a Thoroughbred?" I asked.

            "Of course! This is a racing farm! What else would I be?"

            "Sorry."

            "Hey, you are the new colt, aren't you?"

            "Yes." I said, puffing my chest and raising my head high. I needed to have an air of power so I wouldn't be picked on by anyone else. I didn't need to die before I am even raced. I saw Diablo's son galloping over. The look on Emmy's face turned to shock, then relief.

            "You haven't been... You're still here! Ronno, I thought you were gone!" She walked to his side, but a clear whistle from Monty broke them apart. "We aren't together? I thought you were going to be mine!" Emmy said, confused.

            "Hey, Monty, who's she with?" Ronno called.

            "King!" He called back. Ronno looked enraged. I reared and showed my golden wings, hoping to threaten him with my power. He reared and struck out, then showed a pair of white wings with a hint of... rainbow? He was a cross! Diablo saw the rainbow feathers and I heard an angry growl.

            "Alicia!!!" Diablo's cry met the ears of a roan mare with a new foal. Breaking off from her nursing foal, she ran over to Diablo. "You said you were a Golden One, is that not right?"

            "That is correct." She answered, her voice trembled. "Well why does Ronno have rainbow tipped wings!"

            "Mother?" Queen's voice rang out.

            "Penelope! I thought you were sold to another farm!" Alicia and Penelope touched muzzles. Diablo's shadow loomed overhead, then, Alicia's filly ran over, with tiny wings, began to repeatedly rear and kick Diablo through the fence. I ran between them as Diablo reared to strike the thing. I felt my head go numb. I fell to the ground.