Realization

I woke up when the stars hung over the sky like a glorious sparkling blanket. The skies were so much clearer here. I walked over to the window and stuck my head through one of the gaps to feel the cool night breeze ruffle my long thick black mane. I closed my eyes for a second and just inhaled deeply. I reared up and put my hooves on the windowsill and pressed my shoulder against the bar. I looked down and saw I was above the treeline, as this castle was on a cliff. I kind of wanted to get out and stretch my wings. I turned and walked over to the door and pressed my nose against it to push it open. It moved a little and then stopped, something was catching. I perked my ears forward to look at the latch. I snorted in frustration and turned my neck to bash my shoulder against the door. When that failed I rammed into it as hard as I could. I was locked in the room! I reared and pawed at the hard wood, hoping to make it splinter but no matter how hard I hit my hooves against its smooth surface, it wasn't breaking or budging. I turned around and lined up my haunches with the door and bucked as hard as I could. I felt the door bend, but it wasn't moving. I pinned my ears and began to pace in small quick circles, my tail swishing as I walked. I stopped for a moment to paw at the floor. How was I going to get myself out of this? I suddenly whipped around when I heard a loud growl resonate past my window. I turned and galloped over and skidded to a halt and shoved my head through the small gap, the cool edge of the window pressing against my chest. Three draconi flew past in a formation of sorts. They roared and growled and hissed as they flew high up into the air and then simultaneously pressed their wings to their bodies and dove down to spiral towards the ground, the three young drakes hugged their thin elegant legs tightly against their chests as their tails whipped behind them. The fastest one I immediately recognized as Storm from his coat and his un-drake like appearance. His steely dapple grey coat gleamed in the light of the morning and his long stormy mane billowed in the wind, his steel grey eyes cold and concentrated as his thin nose pointed determinedly towards the ground, cutting his way through the thick air. the other two drakes cast shifty glances at each other as they flew down and I saw them closing in on his flanks. one of them had some dark blue scales on a long thin neck and the other had red tinted mane and tail as well as a red roan coat. Storm pinned his ears and unfurled his wings so fast I felt pain shoot through my own, yet his face remained stone as he flew over a lush green field. he gave a hard thrust with his wings and shot up into the air, tucking his shoulder and dodging the other horses as they shot pillars of flames at him.

"Storm, twist and dodge smoothly! We have been over this!" an older cream colored mare roared at him from the ground as he whipped past her. this was a training session, but for what? what would the young heir need these moves for? Were there enemy Draconi empires I didn't know about? I turned from the window to examine the thin crystal bars. maybe if I could bash my chest into the. hard enough they may break. I backed up until my flanks were against the door, and then I took off and ran full force into it. I felt a searing, throbbing pain bloom in my chest. I lifted my head tiredly to see a fraction of the bar gone, the other bars splintered. I pinned my ears and snorted in frustration. I then walked up to it and whipped around and gave the one bar a good hard kick with my back legs, which caused the bars to shatter and fall to the ground. Hopefully the Draconi training session didn't turn their sights onto me as I stepped up to the ledge and flew out and dove down, blending into the rocky side of the stone castle until I gracefully landed on the ground and folded my wings and began to walk away as casually as I could manage. I felt my heart drop when I heard a voice whinny my name.

"Pegasus!" I heard the familiar whinny come from behind me as well as the soft sound of hoofsteps trotting up behind me. I stopped and slightly turned my head so I saw her out of my right eye. Moon was trotting up behind me, her bright white mane softly billowing as she floated over to me. Her tone was gentle but something in the way she was looking at me held a warning of some sort. Her ears flicked slightly and she tossed her head in a way that almost told me act casual, don't move, don't run. For some reason I trusted her and I turned to face her. I saw the ear of the cream Draconi turn to us but she didn't move from watching Storm do his acrobatics up in the air.