Off To A New Home

I woke to a rude awakening. The little girl human was walking towards me, her face streaked with tears. She had my halter in her hand. I walked over to her and nibbled her dark brown hair. She laughed briefly, and then she slapped my muzzle away. I stood there, shocked. She had never hurt me before. She burst into tears as she slipped the halter over my head. One thing different about this girl, is that I can understand what she says, and she can understand me.

"I'm sorry, so sorry," She sobbed. 

"Why, what are you going to do?" I asked in a nicker.

"You will leave today and never come back! Also," she said as she got herself together, and then continued, "I think you should know my name, I am Rosemary." She said. I looked at her. She pulled the lead rope and I followed. She led me out of the field and onto a cobblestone path. I saw a man wearing a black suit so he looked like a penguin.

"Mr. Farlington, here is the colt. His name is... Pegasus..." she sobbed and hugged my neck. I coughed to let her know I couldn't breathe.

"Well don't kill the horse, Rosemary! I've paid good money for him, now bring him here, I'll get him in the trailer right away!" The man yelled. Rosemary didn't move so I yanked the lead rope out of her hands, Then she thought I would run away, and I did, right over to Mr. Farlington.

"Well, looks like the horse is smarter than the girl! Well, I've got to go! Rosemary, when I say bring me a horse, I mean bring me a horse or I'll take the thing straight to the slaughterhouse, you hear!" He yelled, which made her cry even harder, she turned and ran straight back into the field.

"I'll tell Uni!"She cried before she disappeared. The man looked me over and smiled.

"Pegasus! What a dumb name for a horse! Your name will be a much nicer name now that your mine. Let me see... The black coat, the shiny and silky mane and tail, Oh I know your name will be one fit for a King! That's it! Your name is King now, let's go home." The man led me up the ramp into the trailer where a filly stood. She was black, like me. She wasn't as beautiful as Uni, but I guessed we would have to like each other, since I guessed Mr. Farlington would use us for breeding one day.

"Hi, my name is Pega- I mean, King, my name is King now." I said sadly. I liked my old name better.

"He changed your name too? My name is Queen. I used to be Penelope. So, what's your real name?" Queen answered kindly.

"My name used to be Pegasus. I am a Pegasus, see!" I spread my wings for her to see. She gasped. I could see this was the last thing she expected, but she just stood there pondering something. "What is it?" I asked, folding my wings delicately.

"Nothing." She said as if she was hiding something. I thought of something as I heard the engine of the truck start. I heard Rosemary yelling goodbye. I stuck my nose through the window as the trailer started to move. The window started to close.

"Tell Uni I love her!" slap! The window slammed shut as I said her name. I looked over at Queen, afraid I had hurt her feelings, "I will learn to love you, too, don't worry." I said as we left. I thought about all I was leaving behind. My mother, Uni, Snowflake, my father, Rosemary, and I can't believe this, but I actually miss Rusty. He cared enough to warn me of being sold, he didn't want me to leave, or else he wouldn't have let his eyes show the intense love that he must have felt for me. He was proud of me; but I could tell he was jealous, too. All this I saw in that one glance he gave me the night before. He cares, and he will never know I care for him too.