The Birth

• Dedicated to Danny Boy (my horse<3)

 Darkness surrounded me. I opened my eyes to see the warm face of a horse I assumed to be my mother. She smelled like me, so I knew she had to be. She stood up and shook the grass off her body. I jumped up only to start to fall again, but she thrust her muzzle under my chest to stop me.

"Careful Pegasus," She said warmly. I looked around. We were in a large pasture. I took a few steps, my mother close behind. Once I realized I could walk, I let out a small whinny and galloped across the field when suddenly I heard my mother call out something, but it was too late. I crashed into something hard. I lay on the ground dazed. I saw my mother gallop to my side.

 "You have to watch where you're going!" she nickered softly, "This isn't an open field, we have a fence surrounding us. Come on, get up, I want you to meet the herd." She turned and walked away. I jumped up and trotted after her. I saw some other foals playing and I galloped over to play with them when yet again, I ran into something. This time, it wasn't a fence. I looked up to see a black stallion glaring at me

"Watch where you're going," He snorted. "Next time I won't stop just so I don't trample you!"

"Leave him alone Midnight," I heard my mother come up behind me.

"Do you know this foolish foal, Star?" He nickered, a deep anger raging in his black eyes.

 "He is our son!" She snorted back, and then she nickered softly, "Pegasus, I see you've met your hot-headed father,"

"Well, I would have thought a son of mine would have been wiser than to gallop blindly across a field. He isn't blind, is he?" The anger turned to concern. He cares about me! I thought happily.

"No, I can see," I squeaked. I saw their surprise to hear me speak. Star walked to my side, her warmth flooding over me.

"I would think you would be hungry by now," she nickered. I realized I was hungry, so I turned to find her milk. Once I found it, I started to suckle nosily, making small slurping noises. I sneezed as milk dripped into my nose.

"Well, he is a little clumsy to be running into things, but at least he has my color." I heard my father say. I turned to look at the color of my hair, sure enough, I was pitch-black like him. "Just realized that, huh, son?" I turned to look at him, in his eyes I saw an emotion I had only seen in my mother's eyes: love.

"Yes, I am sorry I have disappointed you,"

"Disappointed me?" He said. I heard the surprise in his voice. "The truth is son," he leaned in to whisper in my ear "I did the same as a foal."  I was shocked. He is the head stallion and yet he ran into things like I did? I looked towards where a pretty filly lay in the grass, her mother encouraging her to stand.

"Go help her." My mother's voice broke into my thoughts. I trotted over and helped the new filly get up. She was a strange color I had never seen before.

"Is there something wrong with my daughter?" A snarl startled me; I turned to see a large stallion glaring at me. His coat was a gleaming chestnut.

"Rusty, don't pick on my son." My father snorted. He walked over. I wondered why the large stallion called Rusty wasn't head stallion. He towered over Midnight, though I could see my father was much more muscular than Rusty.

"No, I have never seen a coat like hers, that's all." I said.

"Thank you for helping me up." A voice squeaked behind me. I turned to see the little filly walking towards me with graceful ease. Her long legs carried her as if she were a feather.

"You're welcome. I'm Pegasus. What's your name?"

"I'm Uni." She answered. She had a white star on her forehead that seemed to glow as she said her name. Her coat was a mix of red and blue roan. On some horses, it would have looked ugly, but she made it look beautiful.