Cob & Diablo

"Wake up sleepy head!" I awoke to Queen's voice ringing in my ears.

"Are we there yet?" I asked, yawning and I started to let my wings appear when I saw the look on her face, she looked so nervous, I then realized Mr. Farlington was right behind me, so I let them disappear again. I saw Mr. Farlington cast a second glance at my back, but then shook his head. He must have seen a glimpse of my wings. I looked over at Queen. She looked relieved, but she also had a hint of longing in her eyes.

 "Who did you leave?" I asked.

 "What do you mean?" She said, cocking her head slightly.

"Did you leave someone special, like a young stallion, or your parents?"

"I left my mother, Night. I was actually glad to leave my father, he was crazy. His stall is a concrete box with a metal door and iron bars. No one could touch him except me, but I still didn't like him. He would always scold me if I did something even a little wrong. His stall was backed up to our pasture, and I was brought in to see him once. He took one look at me and snorted. He is a pure white stallion, and he usually gets a whole line of white or crème foals, so I was the outcast in his eye, his big brown eye. His name was Dust."

 "He had one eye?" I asked.

"No, he had two. He just has one brown eye, and one crystal blue eye. It scared me when I first saw him, but you get used to seeing it after a while. He once told me to beware of being sold, he was sold when he was my age from his home with the filly of his dreams, Star, to the old farm where I was born. I think Star was a mystic horse. My father said she was a Pegasus like you and- well, like you. My father said when she was introduced to the Moonstone she made her name Stardust, in his honor. They never were able to have foals together, but my father would still start randomly muttering about her sometimes."

"My mother was called Stardust..."

 "She was a Pegasus?"

 "Yes, of course!"

  "Did she have stars, like, real stars in her wings?"

    "Yes! It's her!"

  "Ooh, if you ever meet my father, don't mention her, or he will actually kill you. He hated all foals of hers who weren't sired by him!"

  "King, Queen, it's time to get off!" Mr. Farlington had opened the door next to me and was backing me off the trailer, when he noticed I had a cut on my side. "Oh, how did that happen? Oh, well! It's small! No worries!" He turned, handing me to a young man. I pulled my lead rope out of his hands and trotted in a circle around him. He seemed different, he seemed to know that I wasn't going to run away. He reminded me of Rosemary.

 "Hi, my name is King, can you understand me?" I nickered as clearly as I could. He got a sudden gleam in his eyes.

  "How could you tell I am a horse whisperer? I am Monty." He leaned in to whisper in my ear. "Please don't talk to me with Mr. Farlington around, he thinks I am crazy because I talk to horses like their people." He chuckled when he leaned back. I nickered in agreement. I looked and saw Queen giving Mr. Farlington a hard look.

 "He stepped on my hoof!" She nickered.

"Excuse me, Mr. Farlington, I think you may have stepped on the filly's hoof. Remember, their hooves are so small, they are still growing and developing, so it may hurt if you step on them." Queen looked flabbergasted at Monty's comment.

 "Did he just..." She stammered.

 "He can understand us!" I whinnied to her. She still looked surprised, but not completely freaked out like a second ago. I heard a faint barking in the distance, and I hoped it stayed that way, but I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I had no idea what that meant, but I was not ready to find out. Before I could investigate, Monty led us into a large, well built barn. It was cream colored with red roofing and inside it was so well lit you couldn't tell you weren't outside. Monty led me into a bright stall with shiny metal bars lining the wood of the walls and the top of the door. There were clean wood shavings which were easy on my hooves. As I walked around the stall I reared up so I could peer over into the stall next to me. I saw a great grey Thoroughbred stallion lying down. Unfortunately that was all I saw before I slipped back down on the smooth wooden boards. I heard a rustling in the stallion's stall and then I saw him arch his nose up to see me.