On The Road

Queen and I traveled together in silence. I felt she was keeping something from me. I knew it, I had the feeling that what she was hiding was important. I looked out of the window and saw the stars in the night sky, I could picture Midnight, Stardust, and Snowflake flying through the air over the ocean without me. Only when I see this, another picture flashes through my mind, the first glimpse of my mother, the way we smelled the same, I miss her now. I could picture running through the field and crashing into my father, and the way I was terrified the first time he snorted at me. The first time I saw the love in his eyes for me. When I think of Midnight and that first day, I think of the way Rusty's eyes had a hint of love and care that day he warned me of this, all those memories, so ordinary then, but now so precious. They seemed like they happened millions of years ago, before the MoonRock was even there. The MoonRock, so many secrets in the form of questions, I wish I had asked them while I had the chance. As much as I wanted my mother right now, or even my Uni, all I really wanted was for Snowflake to be here with me now when I need her most, for her to wrap her star- sprinkled wings around me. She said she was always there for me, I wish she was now. I knew my life as Pegasus was over, and now, it was time for King's life to begin. As one takes on a new name, a new life begins, the old memories are those of another horse, one named Pegasus, not King. This first ride to my new home, the first time I met Queen, these are the first memories of King. I pushed the window open with my nose, then, I reached back and pulled a feather from the wing Snowflake had healed, and let it blow away out the window, and on this feather, blew with it the memory of a colt named Pegasus. I looked over at Queen, she had opened her window as well. She had stuck her head out and had let something fly away as well. I wondered what it could have been. She must have decided against it because she suddenly lurched forward and would have gone out of the window had I not leaned against her. She looked sad, but when I realized there was a rainbow feather at her hooves, she lit up. I reached down to sniff it when she stomped her hoof on it. When she lifted it, there was just a pile of dust. I had to blink a few times to bring myself back. Was the feather really there? How did dust get in the trailer in the first place? As I wondered these questions I looked out the window at the slowly moving stars above me.

            "I'm always here for you," Snowflakes words echoed in my mind when I realized what she had meant. In the stories of the StarHerd, each dead horse has a star where they live. Since the stars are always out even in the daylight, Snowflake would be there for me all day for as long as her star stays there. However, she had told me a story of some poor horse spirits who lived next to her star. Their stars' lights had gone out so they disappeared into thin air as they slept. But, Snowflake said when a star dies and a horse is gone, a foal is just born. This had made me feel guilty since I had thought Uni and I had caused the death of Snowflake's friends. Thinking of all the stars made me sleepy and I was soon asleep.