forty-three:: when you resemble an overly-emotional Clark Kent.

Start from the beginning

"I've been hanging out with Paul too much." I shrugged, rubbing at my scalp. Now that one hurt.

Turning towards me at that, Andy got this remorseful look in his eyes. He must've been recalling the time in my bedroom and might I just say: it wasn't that pretty. I was sure Andy assumed that Paul hated him, I mean anyone would at least resent him: the guy who you thought your boyfriend cheated on you with. But Paul wasn't just anyone, he was forgiving. "You guys doing okay? He didn't look that good when he picked you up Monday."

"He's just getting over a cold." And I wanted to confirm that Paul didn't hate him but I really didn't want to have that conversation on behalf of my boyfriend so I shrugged, trying to pull out of an awkward conversation.

Will frowned at that, letting out a little "Aw." And peering up at me, long lashes surrounding her big, brown eyes.

"Yeah."

Noticing that I didn't have anything else to say, Willa spoke again, immediately changing the subject. I wondered how she could think up new scenarios so fast because around her, you'd never be bored. "Anyways," dropping her knees and criss-crossing her legs in her seat, she gripped my shoulders with an excited look on her face. "Jules here has some important news."

With a smile spreading across his face, Andy replied, "Same." And I could tell how excited he was, I secretly hoped that it had something to do with Johnny Casey because Lord knows that Andy was so falling for that boy.

"You go first." I'd pushed and almost instantly, he blurted out his news.

"I got scouted by the University of Michigan." And shit.

"Holy fucking-"

"Oh my god!" Will had cut me off, her voice louder than us and her eyes wide in excitement, "look at my boys doing big things!" My heart warmed at her genuine happiness for our success. That was something I was grateful for, she was something I was grateful for and I couldn't thank anyone more for dropping these people into my life. "Scholarship?" She asked, her eyes wide and his smile nearly unhinged his jaw.

Nodding, he laughed at the excitement pooling off of us in waves. "Full ride, four years, varsity soccer."

And although I wasn't the loudest person, I had to be the proudest. Even if we weren't friends until late our senior year, I'd been playing with Andy for four years. I'd watched him grow to be the amazing captain he was, the amazing teammate and player he was and I don't think there was anyone more deserving. "That's amazing, Andy."

"I know, it's still sinking in." He'd sighed contentedly before going back to eating his food. "Anyways... What about you?"

My news wasn't nearly as exciting as his so sheepishly, I brushed it off as if it were nothing even if my heart was beating out of my chest. "I got my acceptance letter from UC Santa Barbra yesterday." I didn't expect what happened next.

"Woo!" He'd screamed in excitement, catching me off guard and the cafeteria had gone almost-completely silent. There was only Andy making a scene as he stood up from his seat and stepped up to the table gaining attention. "Andrew Baker and Julian Douglas, pro-soccer players," tugging harshly at his pant leg, I tried to persuade him down but he stood tall, clasping his hands around his mouth and yelling a big, "Suck on that you homophobic bastards!"