twelve:: when you mend your broken strings.

tumblr: societyobeys; Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus
(ONE DIRECTION DID NOT FUCKING WRITE IT)]

TWELVE:: when you mend your broken strings.

"God, Jules..." Paul had rushed over after Will had gone to get him, promptly dragging Benji out of the room to give us some privacy. Andy had left sometime around 4:30 so he'd make it to the school on time for practice, my dad disappeared as had Jade, and Rilee was nowhere to be found.

Trying to sit up on the bed, I winced at the pain in my ribs, "I'm fine, Paul."

But Paul didn't agree, his breath hitched as he quickly moved beside my bed, hands on my shoulders and slightly pushing me back onto my pillow so I didn't cause further damage, "You're not fine, you look like you've been hit by a truck, what the hell?"

"It was just a fight..." I excused, it was getting tiring being treated like I was fragile and weak. Hell, Paul wouldn't even let me sit up. Pushing the button on my bed that brought the back up, I maneuvered it so I could successfully sit up without putting too much pressure on my stomach.

And even though Paul wasn't really pushy, he was different that day; something changed. Normally, he'd smile as soon as we'd seen each other but that day, he was stressed. He was looking at me with a sense of sadness as he stared my cast down, "Tell me what happened."

I wasn't aware when my hand became tangled in his tattooed one but as he sat in the chair beside my bed, I found myself admiring the skin beneath mine. I was nervous as his eyes analyzed my battered face. Wondering if I looked like a mess, I kept my eyes on his hand, afraid that he'd be able to see the hesitation I had bubbling and the insecurities is tried to keep at bay.

But apprehension was laced in the dullness of my speech. I hadn't even convinced myself, "Nothing happened."

His free hand automatically clenched around the bed sheet, surprising me. I watched as he shut his eyes trying to calm down, veins popping as he heard my response. His shoulders were squared as he opened his eyes, brown engulfing my green, "It was Calum wasn't it?"

I winced.

Shaking his head, Paul was stern with his words. Paul wasn't normally a commanding person but when he was, it was both extremely attractive yet completely intimidating, "Tell me the story."

And regardless of the fact that I knew he wouldn't judge, I was hesitant. I didn't want to talk about it, "Paul..."

But the look on his face and the plea in his voice persuaded me, "Tell me."

My voice was hoarse as I spoke, I hadn't said much in a while and with my new position, I'd accidentally shifted my stomach while I was turning to explain, "I... I would've left but he slashed my tires and brought his friends."

He seemed to be mulling over my answer as we fell into a comfortable silence. My eyes were on our hands -my bruised one and his tattooed- as I subconsciously ran my thumb over his knuckles, his breath hitching slightly.

I hadn't expected him to speak, "How close are you to the school?"

Feeling my eyebrows furrow, I disregarded how much I didn't want him to see all the damage on my face, I looked up at him and I ignored the grimace on his face, "I live like five-ten minutes away, why?"

He shook his head, "I'm picking you up in the mornings and driving you home after," he must've seen the incredulous look on my face because he lifted his eyebrows as if daring me to retaliate, "no exceptions."

"Paul..."

"Jules," he sighed, gently caressing my hand in his, eyes flickering between mine and my bandaged arm, "they fucking jumped you."