Chapter 48 - Moving on...

Start from the beginning

"No, it was fine... He was kind and patient, so it all went well," I reply, trying to keep my eyes focused on the screen of my laptop to avoid her piercing stare, but I unfortunately look up when she remains silent. And as expected, she is staring at me with that look of unbelief in her eyes.

"Joshua... patient...? Are we talking about the man over there?" she asks, discreetly pointing behind me and opening her eyes exaggeratingly wide.

"Err... you know what I mean... I was a beginner when I started in September and he was patient enough to explain things... and he never yelled at me..." I explain, blurting out the first plausible excuse I could find.

"Thank God he didn't yell at you! He would have heard from me! He knew you were a beginner when you started working for him, so he would have known better not to yell at you..."

"Anyway, I guess I wouldn't have lasted for long if we hadn't matched..." I say a bit too quickly and noticing too late that my words could have another meaning, which of course Ally doesn't miss as she pulls out a small smirk.

"Yeah sure... a perfect match... care to tell me about that..." she whispers, making me flush.

"Wh... what...?"

"I'm just teasing you Liam!! Although... I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that you have a little weakness for the boss..." she chuckles.

"You're talking nonsense, Ally..." I whisper-shout back at her, unable to calm down my blush and making her laugh out more.

"I'm just kidding, Liam! But you have to admit that he's a rather nice-looking man, right?" she says with a wink. I just gape at her, not knowing what I should answer to that. This is so not Ally to blow out things like that. I can't say that I worked with her for long enough, but I know that she wouldn't say things like this if she wasn't getting nosy about Joshua and me. "Don't you agree?" she insists.

"Hmm... yes he is but... I'm not interested... I already have someone..." I reply stupidly for lack of a better answer.

"Liam Reed!! You never told me that!" she exclaims, now clearly interested in more confidences.

"You never asked me..." I simply argue.

"That's such a lame excuse..." she comments disdainfully. "How is he? And don't tell me that's a she cause I wouldn't believe you!" What the hell? Is it that obvious that I like men - well at least one man? We both startle when the meeting-room doors suddenly open and resume our straight positions as we had slowly leant toward each other along our conversation. Seeing how Ally lightly blushes, I don't dare looking back at Joshua's expression.

"Ally, please schedule another meeting with Kelly in three weeks' time," Joshua says with a weird undertone.

"Sure!" Ally replies, having already recovered her confident self while I get back to my emails. Once Kelly has left, Joshua goes back to his office without a word and we finish our work in silence, sometimes glancing at each other with sparkling eyes.

Ally leaves at six, and since I am going to Joshua's place tonight, I pretend that I have a few things to finish, which is the only excuse that I can think about for staying later. Joshua had a business dinner last night with some Chicago customers so I spent the evening at my apartment with Shannon, which was cool except for the awkward night I had. After Joshua told me about Jeremy's departure last week-end, my faith in friendship was seriously whacked. I not only realized how I had become attached to my Sub friend, but I also felt terribly uncertain about the concept of friendship in itself. I didn't want Joshua to worry too much and it was difficult to explain him that Jeremy's departure had affected me in a way that put into question my whole faith in friendship. I told him that I needed reassurance and to feel that things like this would never happen between Shannon and me. I guess I was persuasive enough because Joshua understood my distress and he accepted to drive me back to my place on Saturday late afternoon.