March 8th 1850: Kuhmo Finland

Well, today was the day. Welcome back, hellish life.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My eyes snapped open, greeted by a ray of sunlight beaming through the window. Where the hell was I? What the hell happened? I sat up in attempt to study my surroundings, but I instantly felt a wave of pain shoot up my back.

"Shit!" I yelled, falling back against the bed in agony. Elder Kai instantly appeared in the doorway, followed by Vlad.

"Thank Mother Russia, you're awake!" Kai sighed in relief. I looked at Vlad, tiny pieces of my memory returning as I did so.

"It's today, isn't it..." I mumbled, staring at the ceiling. Kai took a step back, nodding to Vlad.

"I'll let you handle this."

"Thank you, Elder." Vlad said, watching as the door squeaked shut behind Kai. His gaze then averted to me, a fake smile drawing on his lips.

"You don't remember what you said, do you?" He laughed, shaking his head. I said something? What?

"No, I don't think so..." I murmured, confused. "What did I say?"

"Oh, nothing..." He sighed in response, dismissing it rather quickly.

Too quickly.

"Seriousl-" I said, but I was cut short when a wave of memory pounded at my skull.

-FLASHBACK

"I should let you go. Right here." I growled, turning away from him. "I'd be one less soul I'd have to collect."

"Do it then."

-END

"Mother of Russia..." I quivered, looking to him. "Did I?"

He didn't say anything in response, just nodded.

"I..." I trailed off, feeling tears prick at the corners of my eyes. Why would I say something so cruel?

"It's fine..." He sighed, but I saw right through the fakeness of his words.

"No, it's not." I choked, taking heavy breaths. "The fact that I said that was completely uncalled for, and absolutely horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if you never wanted to have anything to do with me anymore, and I wouldn't blame yo-"

"That's not at all what I'm saying!" He said, voice spiking. "I'm just saying it hurt, a lot... Because I love you so much..."

"I didn't mean it. I swear I didn't..." I whispered, reaching out for him. He reluctantly took my hand, pulling me to him for a hug.

"I know you didn't angel... I know..." He sighed, wiping a few stray tears from his face.

He then looked to my hand, tapping my ring with his finger. He took another deep breath, Golden eyes filled with sadness.

"Today... You have t-"

"I know..." I sighed, biting on the inside of my cheek. He brushed my hand gently with his thumb, trying to find someway to calm me down.

"You know what you have to do in order to contract the soul, right?"

"Not exactly..."

"After they're dead, you have to go snowblind. The souls are gonna appear to be a grey color, okay? All you've gotta do is put the ring against the soul and, ta-da." He explained, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't work, as I still felt guilty for my previous words. I forced a fake smile, though I'm certain he saw through it.