February 27th 1850: Nizhnevartovsk Russia

We'd been fighting for hours. He didn't give in, and I don't think he was going to anytime soon.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Arkadi, please!" I panted, dodging his nunchucks by inches. Vlad watched in horror, bound by a flaming cage that surrounded him.

I slid to the right, dodging yet another blow as I went snowblind.

"Why are you doing this!?" I screamed. "We can get out of here dammit! Just stop!"

"Never." He hissed, blood escaping his jaws. "You'll kill me first. Or I'll kill you."

He looked so menacing in his full Servile form, body engulfed in hatred and flame.

"I'll rip your heart out." He growled, voice disoriented and insanely deep. "By Mother Russia, I'll rip your damn heart out."

"If this is how it has to be Arkadi." I sighed, closing my eyes. "So be it."

My eyes snapped open at that moment, white flames in the corners of my vision. I looked down to see the rest of my body, which like Arkadi, was also engulfed in flame.

...I was a demon.

The world seemed to freeze as I took it all in, noting my dagger-like teeth and seemingly weightlessness. So this is how it felt. Powerful. Free.

"Perfect." I breathed, charging at Arkadi. My punches landed solidly, his jaw cracking to the side. His eyes widened, then snapped shut in pain.

"You're Imperial." He whispered. I had forgotten he hadn't known. I simply nodded, going back to attacking him. He did his best to defend himself, but surprisingly, didn't retaliate.

"Why have you stopped?" I asked, anger imbedded in my tone. His mouth opened to reply, but instead he just shook his head.

"Answer me."

The flames around him flickered away, skin regrowing around his skeletal frame.

"The Imperial Hex." He said quietly. "I can't attack you. Because you're in ultimate form, and you may not realize it, but you're controlling me."

"I am?" I said, in disbelief. I imagined his eyes closing, and sure enough, they did. I did this a couple times, just to make sure it wasn't coincidence.

"See?"

A grin drew on my lips. I could do anything with him now. Force him to kill himself, torture himself, anything.

"Madie."

Vlad's sharp tone cut through my thoughts, making me look over to him. He shook his head, as if he knew what I was thinking. Guilt instantly washed over me, making me drop Arkadi.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, turning back to my human form. The feeling of self-hatred returned, until Arkadi looked up at me with a regretful gaze.

"Don't be. I deserve all of this hell. I killed Lukas. I killed my best friend." Arkadi said steadily. My breath hitched when he said this, not believing my ears. At the same time, I did believe them.

Because I warned him he'd die.

"Kid, don't cry. You're stronger than that. You've been to hell and back, several times. You can do this. Just come with me, okay?"

"I'm gonna get someone killed if I do Lukas. I know it. I could be you... Do you really want that? Do you?"

I wanted to start crying right there, but I found myself completely emotionless. I'd cried out every tear I had.