January 30th, 1850: Tula, Russia

*This chapter is told by Vladimir. 

I really started to doubt she would ever wake up... 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We had traveled down to Tula, to where one of Nikolai's friends who happened to be a doctor lived.

"Nikolai, please say something. I know you're mad, but it's been a week." I sighed, gazing guiltily at Madie's uncle. His once neatly kept hair was messily tossed on his head, and his once mischievous blue eyes were drained of all color. He looked over at me, his eyes glazed with hatred. His mouth opened to say something, but instead he just turned away.

"Say it."

His head snapped back towards me when I said that. I never was disrespectful to him, but I needed to hear this.

"Vladimir... Vladimir James Kovaleski. I have nothing to say to you except for this: If you killed my niece, Я убью тебя." (I will kill you.)

"Yes sir..." I frowned, leaning back into the black leather couch I was sitting in. In an instant, Nikolai was on top of me, throwing rapid punches at my face.

"YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE CALLED AN ASSASSIN!" He screamed. Ripping the hidden blade off of my wrist, he snapped the blade in half, not caring that it sliced his hands open. "Do you hear me!? YOU KILLED HER!"

"Sir, y-you don't know that for sur-"

"DON'T CALL ME SIR YOU SUCK UP!" He continued to yell, slapping me back and forth across the face. "SHE'S DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!"

"Nikolai, what in the name of Mother Russia are you doing to that boy!?" Nikolai's friend, Rostislav, burst into the room, pulling Nikolai off of me by his shoulders.

"Stay out of this! HE KILLED MY NIECE AND HE WILL PAY FOR IT WITH HIS LIFE!" Nikolai growled, his hidden blade pressed to the back of his head.

"Nikolai, she's not dea-"

"Uncle? What are doing?"

"Madie?"

Everyone gasped at her in shock, Nikolai quickly retracting his blade from Rostislav's head. She had bandages tied tightly to her torso and forehead, looking very dazed and confused.

"What's going on?" She slurred, sliding against the doorframe, almost falling. "Where are we Vladdy?"

"T-T-Tula." I stammered, blushing at what she had just called me.

"Madie? You're okay!?" Nikolai ran over to her, hugging her tightly. "I thought you died!" He continued to sob, shaking violently as he held onto her.

"I'm okay..." She mumbled, laying her head on his shoulder sleepily. "I heard you yelling at that man and Vladdy. What happened?"

"Nothing sweetie, you're okay, just rest your head."

...Like hell nothing happened.

"But I'm not tired!" She whined, pushing off of Nikolai "I wanna fight Vladdy now! I'm ready!"

"Don't worry, she's basically drunk right now because of all the medicine... It'll wear off in a couple hours." Rostislav laughed, patting her back.

"STRANGER DANGER!" Madie screamed at the top of her lungs, slapping him across the face. "Vladdy! he's gonna hurt me!" She cried, hugging onto me as tightly as possible.

"Uh..." I mumbled, trying to push her off while comforting her at the same time. "He's not going to hurt you. I promise."

"Oh, YAY!" She laughed, now hugging onto Rostislav. "Haha, he's like a teddy bear!"

"What was in that medicine?" I asked, sighing.

"Well, just your basic herbs... Andsomevodkaofcourse." He quickly said the last part, scratching the back of his head.

"Vodka?" Nikolai asked, giving him a 'you're an idiot' face.

"Precisely."

"Vodkaaaaaaaaa! I want some!" Madie sang, leaping onto the couch.

...This is going to be the longest day of my life.

-TIMESKIP

Thank God. Madie was finally asleep, curled up on the couch beside me.

"She has so much energy..." I moaned, taking a drink from Rostislav. Sure I was only 15, but I deserved this for being called 'Vladdy' for the past 5 HOURS.

"Чудеса водки..."(The wonders of vodka...) Nikolai laughed, toasting Rostislav.

"Indeed." I laughed, swishing the liquid around.

"Oh, and I guess I owe you an apology 'Vladdy'." Nikolai sighed, staring into his own glass.

"Not you too. If I hear that one more time I'm going to kill myself." I groaned, gaining a laugh from Rostislav.

"But seriously, I overreacted... I want you to have this." He frowned, never making eye contact with me as he slipped his hidden blade from his wrist.

"I couldn't si-"

"Call me sir one more time and I'll call you Vladdy for the rest of your life. Now take it." Nikolai said in a dull monotone, the mischievous glint returning to his eyes as he finally looked at me."

"Yes s- I mean... Uh... Er..."

"Just 'yes' is okay."

I laughed slightly, sliding the blade onto my wrist. I hadn't worn my cloak, so I had to tuck it under my shirt sleeve. Madie turned beside me, mumbling something about 'Snow' and 'Vampires'. I couldn't help but smile. She was a handful when she was drunk, but I think part of me enjoyed being called 'Vladdy'. I sighed, shaking off the thought as I took another shot of vodka.

"We should all get some sleep." Rostislav decided. He stood up, nodding to us as he stumbled off into his room, obviously drunk.

"Alright, what about you Nikol- annnd you're drunk too." I sighed, noticing he was out cold in the arm chair. I got up from the couch, noticing a slight stumble in my own steps. Great, I got myself drunk too.

"Чудеса водки..." (The wonders of vodka...)