March 3rd, 1850: Moscow, Russia

Home again, home again. I don't think I can do this...

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I stared blankly down at the floorboards of the carriage, a million thoughts humming through my mind. The sheer numbers of demons in that safe house before we left. Would anyone here recognize me? What happens if the Imperials follow us into Finland?

"Madie."

I looked up, Vlad's voice slicing through the hypnosis of my thoughts.

He held a look of concern in his eyes, and I could tell he knew something was up. I think everyone could, considering everyone was practically staring at me.

"I..." I started, trying to find the right words to say. "I'm overwhelmed and scared okay?"

"It's understandable..." Arkadi sighed. I nodded, letting the bitterly cold Russian breeze slap across my face.

"I just hate this damn place..." I sighed, placing my head in my hands.

I tried not to look at our surroundings for fear that I would see something or someone familiar. But that one glance at Arkadi was enough for me to recognize the scenery around us. The ice lake.

Mother of Russia.

-FLASHBACK

"You cut a hole in the ice like this, see?" Ivan smiled, lowering his fishing rod into the water. "And now we wait for the fishies."

"Fishies!" Little me laughed, taking a seat beside him.

He handed me the rod, and told me to be quiet so the fishies would come.

"Okay" I whispered. I looked up at his smiling figure, but all of a sudden his face fell.

"Iva-"

"Back up. Slowly." He whispered, expression engulfed in fear.

"But wh-"

"Just do it!" He screamed, and it was the I realized why he was panicking.

There was a huge crack in the ice, that stretched out almost as long as my arm-span.

I took hesitant steps backwards, while Ivan stood paralyzed.

"Ivan, come o- IVAN!" I screamed.

The ice gave out under him, allowing him to fall into the tundra of the lake. His screams were muffled under the water, as the ice quickly froze over him.

I scrambled back to where he had fallen, seeing him pound furiously on the thick sheet of ice. I banged on the top of the ice, not caring if I fell in.

"Madie!" I heard someone yell. I spun around to see Leo approaching me, seeming quite frantic.

"Leo! It's Ivan! He's drowning!" I cried, looking back to Ivan. He relentlessly hit the ice, but I could tell he was getting weaker.

"DAMMIT LEO, HELP ME!" I screamed, fists bloody. Ivan shook his head, looking up at me in defeat.

"I love you sister..." He mouthed, bubbles escaping his jaws. He closed his eyes and slowly sank into the darkness of the water,

"IVAN!" I cried, collapsing onto the ice. "Ivan... Ivan..."

I sobbed violently, feeling Leo wrap me in a hug.

"It'll be okay..." He whispered, carrying me off of the ice. When I looked up at him, I swore I saw a smirk plastered on his face, but it was most likely the tears in my eyes distorting my vision.